1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Insurance to Use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Jan 8, 2001.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

I was backing up and smashed into the front of a car crushign my tailgate spreader. I wasn't plowing, just driving to the next job.

I know I need to talk to my insurance co., but which one? General liability or Auto Insurance?

This is the first claim to my insurance co. I was hoping I could use my general liability and not auto becaue of the high (500) deductibe on auto.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to call today, 1/8/01.

Thanx.
    Ron

2. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Id say the general liability should cover it.
    that type of insurance is used to protect your
    equipment(its called an umbrella poilicy). You
    would have to check the fine print on your policy.
    As a rule the general liability is to protect
    you in the event that you , or one of your workers
    damages something. Personally, I hate Ins companies,
    they'll find a way to either slither out of a claim
    or raise your Ins. rates due to a claim youve made.
    Anway....its a necessity in business, and also a
    write off, so its good to have in the event something
    tragic happens...........good luck!

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Now is a good time to point out the benefits of having both coverages with the same company, call your agent and let them figure it out. My prediction (based on past experience) is your vehicle insurance carrier will say its the liability carriers responsibility, and vice versa.

Since you were not involved in plowing, my guess would be the auto policy will cover the other car and damage to your truck, and your inland marine rider on your liability policy will repair your spreader.

4. MJ

MJ Senior Member

RB, Discuss the situation with your ins agent. I have both policies through the same agent and company. Let them sort it out. Personally, I think it would be under the vehicle ins since the damage was caused be the operation of the truck, but let the agent figure it out and save yourself the hassle of dealing with the ins co. Either way, you know you're covered so now it's their problem. That's what you pay them for.

Mick

5. RB

RB Senior Member

Would it be wrong to get paid from both the biz. ins. and my auto? I called both to report a claim and they both seem like they will cover it.

6. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

Naa, Insurance Fraud only carries fines of $25K or so with a 7-10 year vacation.

7. RB

RB Senior Member

lol. I wasn't talking about fraud -- I don't think. I thought I read in my policy somewhere that I could use a combination of two policies - if - the two did not exceed the replacement or repairable cost of the damaged equipment.

Does anyone know about that?

8. MJ

MJ Senior Member

You could use the 2nd to cover the deductible of the first. This commonly happens with medical insurance where each spouse has insurance at work that covers the other. However, you never collect more than 100% of what you're billed. One is designated primary insurer. The second then pays what the first doesn't. Fraud would be if you collected from both without letting either know what the other had paid. There are exceptions where you could collect more than once, for instance I own rental property that I have covered through two seperate policies - as a rental unit and as a home. In some rare situations it's possible that I could legally collect twice for the same loss. But not likely. Be glad you're covered in the first place and each didn't try to get out of paying at all.

Mick

9. RB

RB Senior Member

Mick,

You're are right about that! Thanx for explaining how that works.

10. RB

RB Senior Member

Mick was right. I was able to use both insruance companies to cover the damage. My policy stated that I could use a combination of two or more insurance policies to cover damage as long as the payout does not exceed the damage or replacement cost, whichever is less expensive.

So in this case it was definitely not worth having the same insurance co. for biz and auto. this was my first claim and I learned a few lessons. One is don't take no for an answer. When I called my town insurance rep. (nationwide -- hate them) she said very quickly sorry not covered. I told her that's is allright but I need to know why (asked her to show me where in my literature). She said to call the claims offidce and discuss with them. When I called them they said it was covered. As soon as I get my check I'm going to call her back and ask her why she was so quick to say no and tell her taht I'm looking for an agent that will help my business.

so bottom line is if you guys have the typical gen liab. and auto including plowing, you could probably use both to cover an accident to equipment if the one is not enough to pay for the damage or replacement.

Ron

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why not? They are two separate policies. Having one insurance co. for both policies means making one call, and letting the agent or adjuster figure out which policy pays what.

12. RB

RB Senior Member

Lawnguy,

You might be right. But from my 1st experience it seemed that if I had one insurance co. covering both they would have found a way out of paying everythign that the two separate companies did.

I'm still mad at how the biz ins. agent handled things. I'm going to wait to get my check first before I call her. lol

13. MJ

MJ Senior Member

It sounds like maybe you've got good insurance companies, but the agent leaves sometimes to be desired. Usually, agents sell insurance for several companies. Ironically, I just got my biz ins binder today and the company isn't the same as the auto like I thought. Doesn't matter to me. The agent got me the best deal available. The important part is that I do trust the agent even though she may be getting a bonus or something to push one company over another. For me, it's worth it to have one person to call. She can figure out which policy applies to the situation. I just wouldn't want what you got - told that I'm not covered. We would have to have a talk since I made a point that I wanted to be covered in any concievable circumstance. My advise would be to find another agent even if you keep the same companies. You've apparently lost confidence in the one you've got. Good luck.

Mick