1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which hydraulic oil?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chitownsnowedin, Dec 27, 2008.

1. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

What should I be using for hydraulic fluid in an old Michigan Wheel Loader?

2. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

What color is the oil in it? If it looks like regular hyd. oil then thats what it is. Older loaders ran regular hyd. oil in them. If its a different color blue then it is a winter hyd. oil. You should be able to take a sample to a oil dealer and have them test it or around $20-$30.

3. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

It all leaked out and unfortunately I did not see it. From the trail I see on the ground it looks to be brown, almost like regular motor oil.

4. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Pull the hyd filter off. You said it was brownish then its reg. hyd. fluid. Also you can tell sometimes by smelling it if you know what hyd. fluid smells like.

5. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I may need to use this machine tonight. Is there anything that I can substitute for hydraulic oil for tonight? Nothing open carries hydraulic fluid.

Keep in mind, whatever I put in will quickly leak out.

6. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Is there a truck stop near by, you might want to try them, I know that the bobcat skidsteers use 30wt motor oil. That would be the only other option that i know of.

7. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Did you blow a hose or what happend that its leaking?

8. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I guess the seal kit blew on one of the pistons on the loader. I would only need this thing for 5 minutes tonight to potentially load salt.

9. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

If you need it and cant find hyd. oil use 30wt morot oil then. But when you have the ram rebuilt you should flush the hyd. system.

10. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Wondering if you needed any oil or got the ram fixed?

11. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I did not need the machine so I never used any oil. I have someone with a lowboy who is supposed to be coming by later today to move this machine to the shop to get it fixed. I will throw some oil in it then for ease of loading. But I will probably go buy the right stuff before I do that. Hopefully they get it fixed before the next storm.

12. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

I grew up on a straight frame Michigan 75A, and we always put in AW hyd. oil ( AW stands for all weather). good luck, Dan