1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Grade 8 lock nuts to use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by capt caper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I've been snapping Fisher's Grade 5 bolts for years now and the tech there said to use Grade 8. I'm not sure which locknut to order though. The one's Fisher supply look like the double sided ones, but on the web site I have the link to they're only grade A which is low. I'm not sure what Fisher uses for nuts,there bolts are grade 5.

Anyway should I use lockwashers and regular hex? Or the grade 8 flanged locknut? What would you suggest?

Heres the link to Nutty.com in Derby Ct.

http://www.nutty.com/nuts.html

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I buy my plow grade 8 stuff at fastener places. I can get the lengths I want and they are a lot cheaper then a dealer too.
    The ones that were on the plow to start out had the nylon lock sections in them. I just buy the lock washers that they have for them and have never had one come loose. You should check them( tightness) during the season anyway.

3. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

In most cases you can get away with grade 5 locknuts with the nylon insert. If you can find grade 8 go for it...Its the bolt that take the brunt of the force....

4. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I don't know is there is fastener places around here. I was hopeing to order online.

I was wondering how a lock washer and regular grade 8 hex nut would hold and you seem not to have any problems?

5. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

That's what I figured too,that the bolt takes the beating. Fisher's two way locknut can't be a grade five, it seems too light. I can't seem to find a grade 5 even in the two ways.

6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

try Lawson products in IL maybe even on the web they have may satellite locations around the US and ship UPS. We just happen to have a rep for thier company locally and he comes to guys like us. they have a big book of all kinds of stuff they carry. If you can't find any info let me know and when I go back in the office i will get more info for you.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I've been getting my Gr 5 and Gr8 at True Value...the one a town over from me has Gr8 up to 1" x 6"...now thats a bolt. I just got new Gr5 for my fisher push beam from the, $3 for bolts, Flat Washers, lock washers, and gr5 nuts. I was told not to put Gr8 on that part of the plow, so I stuck with the gr5.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look up fasteners, bolts, screws or industrial supplies in the phone book. Some hardware stores do sell them but most times not in the size or lenght we need. The idea behind the grade 8's is they are the hardest and toughest you can buy. They will not bend or stretch easily, if at all. I put the lock tight / thread sealer on them too so water is sealed out. If rust welds them, then a flame wrench is the only way to get them apart / off.

9. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

Thanks for the reply's. I look forward to using them. A couple of storms ago when I got home I had only the two outer drivers side ones left. The edge was hanging. I had checked it during the storm also. I'm not sure what sets them off. Probably hitting things like sides of curbing on ramps,etc.

I plow for the state of Ma. and do ramps, sometimes breakdown lanes. I don't know if it's the higher speeds, or when I hit the curbing dead on when stacking up the pile at the points where ramps split directions,etc. I should have gotten better grades years ago. But I kept figureing I was doing something wrong either plowing or putting them on and I'd figure it out. So I called Fisher and that's when he told me his is Grade 5 and to use Grade 8.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I use the grade 5 nylocks nuts. Think about it did you ever see a nut spit?

11. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

No, then again there was nothing left in the hole's so who knows what happened. Ha.
    But your right it's probably just the bolts. Grade 5 nuts would be plenty.

12. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Capt.
    A 'retail' Fastenal shop just opened near me. They carry a stock of 'plow' bolts for the cutting edge. They will also carry every size you need,since their core business is bolts to
    industry. They are on the web ifyou don't have a local store, and I think they will sell retail

Here is the link for plow bolts.
    http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/search/Browsing.asp?CatID=399