1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which gear ratio in a 2011 2500HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Grn_Mtn_Boy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

The Dealer has 2 2500 HD trucks with the 6.0 gasser in stock similarly equip except for the rear end gear ratio. I believe one has the traditional 4:11 ratio and the other has the 3:73 ratio. With the new 6 speed tranny which makes better sense? This truck will be used as my daily runner as well as for plowing and towing a little.
  2. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

I have 4:10 in my 05 and love it for towing and plowing but sucks for mpg. I'd go 3.73 since it will be a daily driver too. My next truck I am opting out of the 4:10's.
  3. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

I wish my truck had 3:73's, if you don't tow everyday, the 4:10's are overkill. Id go with 3:73's, that 6.0 will still pull and plow awesome and get respectable milage. Good luck!
  4. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

3.73 rated to tow between 9,300 - 9,900 lbs. depending on configuration
    4.10 rated to tow 13,000 lbs.
    It depends if you want tow capacity or better fuel milage, If not towing a heavy trailer, I would go with the 3.73.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

3.73 is the perfect gear for all-around use.Steeper gearing if you're really towing very heavy,but I don't think this is the case here.
  6. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Well, I'm a little discouraged now. Dealer was looking at the wrong line ticket when she told me they had a 2500HD with 3:73 rear end. They only have trucks with 4:10 in them. Is this going to be a pig? Anyone know what the difference in milage is between 4:11 & 3:73 in a 2500HD?
    They did a search and most out there are 4:10 gears. I'd order one but my GM card kicker is only good till 1-31-2011.
  7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have driven both, I prefer the 4:10 6.0 trucks, more snap and they don't get horrible mileage, the 3:73 trucks seem way underpowered for me, they are fine until it shifts the next gear it seems to fall on its face and takes too long to recover, just my .02
  8. Piersons LS&L

Piersons LS&L Junior Member
    from WV

will you ever increase tire size? if so the 4.10s wont be bad on mpg..
  9. Grn_Mtn_Boy

The truck I want has got 265 x 17s on it now. Don't think I'll be putting anything larger on.
  10. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I didn't think many new trucks, with the 6 speed, had 410s. The extra gear gives a taller 1st and a shorter 6th. So you can get the pull of the 410 but better milage.
  11. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

If it is used primarly for work, go with the 4 10. A lot easier on the automatic tranny.