1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Fan Cluth is the Best

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lehmand1, Dec 17, 2007.

1. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

I have a 2003 1500 with 5.3 and the fan clutch is going bad. First question I have is, does this enging take the same fan clutch and the 2500's that everyone is having trouble with.

Second question is which one is the best for plowing purposes
    1. Autozone Premium Severe Duty-$70
    2. Advance Auto Severe duty-$68
    3. NAPA Severe duty-$73
    or pay the premium at a dealer for OEM

2. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

Take it out and put in an electric fan..get back some more hp and maybe gain some mpg's

3. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Had thought about doing that already but it seems like a lot more work/headache/money than its woth especially since everyone is saying that the newer fan clutches fixes the problem.

Besides, the last thing that I want is the added amperage draw with the plow on the front.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can run the Plow Prep clutch on your 5.3 that's used on the 6.0 2500HD's...(GM p/n 15710101)

This clutch will add a little more fan noise but will keep a 5.3 cool with no problem..

I wouldn't recommend an electric fan on a plow truck as a primary cooling fan.

5. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I run the stock fan on my 5.3 in the summer, then put on a plow prep fan in the winter. Not at all difficult to change out.