1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NCat496, Apr 19, 2009.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I have a GMC 2500HD with the 8.1 and I am looking for cat back exhaust for it. I want a nice tone but it has to also be reasonable for the winter months when i pull into a residental during the middle of the night so I dont wake up the customer. Anyone have any ideas? No one in my area has this motor everyone has the 6.0 or the Duramax.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I like Bassani Exhaust. I had a system on my old Tundra (still have it above the garage, should sell it!). I has a great tone. Not to obnoxious.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the Gibson 3" single exhaust. Had one on my 89 w/305. Sounded great. Going to put one on the 97 soon. Nice sound, not too loud like some of the dual kits out there.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The Gibson systems really do have a mellow tone, even the dual systems. Flowmaster's 50 or 60 series big block mufflers are not very loud either. I have the Flowmaster Super 44's and true duals on my 2500 with the 6.0. It is loud as hell, just the way I like it:nod:

5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I have the Flowmaster American Thunder with the 50 Series HD muffler, and it has a good tone to it. It rumbles at idle and is not loud while plowing. However, if you do decide that you want it to get loud, just wind that Vortec out, and it begins to scream.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have a Borla cat back on my 98 ECSB Z71 with the 5.7L and I think it sounds good. Not overly loud but not quiet either. A lot of people recommend Magnaflow and is what I will probably try on my 98 K3500 with the 454.

Wayne

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a flowmaster original 40 and it sounds great a little loud for winter but fine for commercial

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The guys have given you many recommendations so far but unfortunately none of the exhaust brands sound the same on an 8.1 as they do on engines that are 100 or more cubes smaller in displacement.

The bottom line is what do you consider as "reasonable" sound wise? And how much are you looking to spend on one? Those two answers will determine which brand and style is right for your purposes as those two answers greatly limit your choices.

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You may have some luck with some of hte major manufaturer's websites. Some but not all post sound clips of their different offerings on the various motors. You won't hit every combination, but you might find it helpful.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

B&B is right. An exhaust on a small block can sound way different than one on a big block. Best thing to do is look around at the different manufacturers and see what they say about mufflers for a big block. Be forewarned though, alot of these companies dont make too much in the way of cat backs for the 6.0 or the 8.1 Might just have to get a muffler/mufflers of your choice then have an exhaust shop make the pipes for you. That is how I did my true duals on my truck

11. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I want to be able to have a conversation on my phone or with an employee on my truck with talking at a somewhat normal voice. I just dont want to too loud at an idle when i am plowing a drive, i dont hit it hard in drives anyways. If i am going to spend the money on it i want aluminized or stainless i dont mind spending the money on something good that will last.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One word answer....Borla. ;)

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Dont waste the money on aluminized. That stuff will rot out faster than you can say shyt!!!! I had all stainless pipes custom bent engine back for my truck just a few weeks ago. I have 650 bucks wrapped up into this system. 2 1/2 going into the mufflers, 2 1/2 going straight out the rear of the truck. Borla is a very nice system, but man are they pricey!!!! Magnaflow is loud period, but the mufflers only last about 2 years. At least that was my friend's experience on his Silverado. The 50 series bigblocks from Flowmaster are very good mufflers, little to no interior resonance, and a nice deep tone from outside. And it isnt overbearing or deafening at idle or plowing. I had that system for a little while, but just didnt offer the sound or power I was looking for. Im not sure if the 8.1 has the dual pipes coming down from the engine like the 6.0 does, but it would be worth looking into a true dual set up. If you do decide to go that route, get offset inlet/offset outlet mufflers. I will go and snap a pic of how mine is set up just to offer you some kind of an idea

truck mufflers 001.jpg

truck mufflers 002.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  14. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

the 8.1 does have two pipes from the manafolds, and I did the same set up, cut before the muffler, but ran a 50 series flowmaster, duel in and duel out. Stainless 4in tips. Was very nice , deep tone. had no muffler for a day and man can those 496ci make some noise!

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Where & What are the web sites to see how they sound ???