1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which engine Toro Powermax

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gravelyguy, Oct 20, 2010.

1. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Well I think I decided to go with the Toro for my next snowblower. The joystick shoot control is pretty awesome. They have three models available and the only real difference is the size of the engine and the price.

828- $1500-----250 CC
    1028-$1700-----305 CC
    1128-$1900-----342 CC (This model has a slightly larger fuel tank and a spring loaded scraper bar to prevent sudden stops on uneven concrete)

We only get 4-5" at a time or less with an occasional heavy 6"+. I am leaning towards the 828 because it seems adequate, but I just don't want to regret not going larger. This blower will be used for 25+ driveways per snow.

I'm coming from a 9HP Craftsman that always had enough power unless you were dealing with really wet heavy stuff.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Good choice on the Toro. If it was me doing 25+ drives, I would choose the 11HP model. I think they would all work well though.

3. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

I'll be ordering in the next couple days. $400 is a big difference for 3 HP. Is anybody here familiar with the spring loaded scraper bar on the 1128 model?

4. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I have an 828 that I bought last year and love it. I was chewing threw 3 foot snow drifts with it no problem. If were to buy another one I would 1128 just cause I know that it will be a monster. Your gonna love the quick stick chute control it is awesome. For what your doin the 828 will do just fine but you may want to bump up the hp and go to the 1028 so you can go a little faster

5. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I bought the 1028 late last year and it was great! Bought mine from Henthorns, where you getting yours?

6. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

While it is only 3 HP, it is 37.5% more power.
    What would it be like to have 37.5% more power in your truck/car/motorcycle or boat?:)

More power always seems like a good thing to me, but more power will most likely require more gas. Not a big deal for a homeowner, but it could be a big deal for someone doing 25+ driveways.

7. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I have 4 Toro dealers close to me, I'll probably get it from a place called Tyrie Mower Repair.

8. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I've had the 8 for a while and never needed more power... cleans up the icey snow mess at the bottom of drives just as well as a couple inches of fluff. I'd save the money and buy the 8HP.

9. WIPensFan

Are you doing 25+ drives though or just your own?

10. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Actually both- the wife uses one at home, we use another one for 2 apartment complexes.

11. WIPensFan

Gotcha. I'm sure they work well, I've always been a Toro fan.