1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Engine is in there

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTChevy, Dec 22, 2001.

1. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

Hello folks! I picked up a "77" Chevy 3/4 4x4 that has a rebuilt 350 motor and trans. The truck was sold with a 400 motor & trans. Question is how can i find out what kind vehicle and year model did this 350 rebuilt motor come out of so i can buy spark plug wires,etc. Thanks all this is a great site.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2001
  2. Flounder

Flounder Junior Member

Hey jt. The way to find out what vehicle you 350 transplant engine came from can be found.Chevy V8 engines have a pad located just forward of the right cylinder head,with letters and numbers that should be visible looking down on the motor.you my hve a little trouble,depending if you motor is dirty or not.The code will look something like this- V1206CTY
    V=PLANT OF MANUFACTURE,12=MONTH,06=DAY,CTY=YEAR SIZE AND WHAT CAR IT WAS IN.If you can locate the code I'll look it up for ya.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

AC Delco R44T plugs will work fine. I've never had a problem with them. I run them in my 77 Chevy w/ 400 motor, and in my 80 GMC with 350 motor.

4. junkyard dog

junkyard dog Junior Member

Hey Flounder, if you don't mind could you tell me what my 350 came out of? The previous owner swapped it in and I was just curious. The number is VO517TJC
  5. Flounder

Flounder Junior Member

Hey jyd.Sorry I took so long to answer but I have been real busy at home.Then id nos. you gave me V0517TJC,indicate tha your engine was manufactured May 17,1973,Flint,Mich.160hp- 350cid 4bbl,that came out of a C20-3500

- Paul
  6. junkyard dog

junkyard dog Junior Member

No problem with the wait. Thanks a lot Flounder.
  7. geta4x4

geta4x4 Junior Member

can't find engine numbers

I'm new to this and can't even find out how to post a message without replying to one. I will try replying to this one as the info I need is similar. I have a 1990 2500 4x4 with a 350 I think. I am wanting to swap motors and have found one that is currently in a 83 1/2 ton 4x4. I don't know what motor is in the 83, how can I tell. It is not fuel injected and the oil filter is vertical. dipstick is on passenger side. Thanks for any help.
  8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Couple of things you can check: is there a sticker on the radiator support of the '83 that is legible? It should have the emission control/hose routing etc info, on it the engine size should be indicated. 5.0 litre is a 305, 5.7 litre is a 350.

Also the casting number on the block will tell you what size engine it is. This can be a little hard to get at, but it is located just above the bellhousing behind the left (driver) side cylinder head. It's cast right into the block, the numbers are about 1/2" high. You may have to do some scraping and wire brushing to get the grease off, but the numbers will be there! From a book I have, here are some possible numbers:

14010207 80 to 85 350 cid
    14011049 80 and later 350 cid
    14014416 80 to 84 305 cid
    14022801 80 to 86 267 or 305 cid
    14011418 80 to 86 305 cid

These aren't all the possible numbers by any means, especially if the engine in that '83 has been swapped itself, but at least it gives you some idea what they may be. If it's a different number, post it here to be looked up!

With regard to posting a message, if you would like to start a new thread go to the forum you wish to post in and at the top right of the list of posts is a button labelled "New Thread". Click on this and then post your message the same way that you posted the reply to this thread. You will have to fill out the "Subject" box (that is optional if you are replying to an existing thread) because that becomes the thread title.

Hope that info can be of some help, looking forward to sharing info/ideas with you in the future.
  9. beerandcope

beerandcope Junior Member

hey guys just my luck i was just wondering how to tell the year and make my self could you look mine up as well i would appereciate it very much the number is t12184cra:confused:
  10. dany

dany Member

If any one has a lmc truck catalof around the tell you your vehical idendification code in the front. You can go to there website and get a free catalog. There sheetmetal parts are cheap and are a great source direct replacement parts specilizing in your vehical. They also have many dress up items.