1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which electric salter would you buy?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SNOWLORD, Aug 16, 2007.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Greetings from Minnesota this is my first post, we do all large commercial accounts covering around 100 acres looking to try an electric salter to add to the arsenal I know this has been discussed in detail and I have read many pages of previous posts but it cant hurt Im thinking smith, saltdogg although it looks very wimpy, snowex8500 but have read the nightmares, anyway let me know what you would purchase. Thanks in advance for your input. And bye the way this seems to be a fairly informative site

FISHERBOY Senior Member

try the fisher electric spreader it should be a good fit :waving:
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most of the Snowex issues center around controls and harnesses.
    Use the Karrier control box and harnesses to solve that problem.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

So Im supposed to buy a new Snowex spreader then spend additional $$$ for someone elses controller to make their brand new spreader work? Doesnt sound like the best plan
  5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

SnowEx had issues with the release of the 8000 a few years back. They have since revised the controller to fix it's issues which were in fact not the controller but the vibrator motor failing and backfeeding. They have redesigned the vibrator to fix the problems in it's early design. The 8500 is a clean slate design and fixes the issues the 8000 had. If you are considering SnowEx buy new. They have an option for a 4 year warranty.
  6. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Swenson makes a nice electric i have seen it in person and it is built like their gas models. Not sure of price probably a little more than all the poly spreaders.
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Salt dogg, Simple and reliable. As long as you wash them out at the end of each run. You won't have any problems. They are very easy to install. Two whimpy guys can get it into the back of the truck with no problem. It used a karrier controller already so you good to go on that part.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a 2002 snow ex 8000. It's been excellent. The only problems i've heard of involve control boxes and harnesses. If you buy a used unit and have issues, don't buy oem buy Karrier.That goes for any of the electric spreaders, karrier is better then anyones OEM controller.
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What will the spreader be used for ? Personally I dont think any of these units you mention will be enough for major acreage. If your looking for something to handle small sites and up to a couple acres get the Salt Dogg. If your looking for something to handle all large sites your looking at the wrong products, none of these handle more then 2 yards. Im not sure about the others but the Salt Dogg is available in a 2 yard unit, that is what I own. The only thing wimpy about the Dogg is the price. Like was stated the Karrier controller is the best made, and reverses automatically when there is a jamb.If you get a major jamb you can put a large wrench to the auger to free it up as well. Out of the box the Dogg is ready to go, you need nothing else to get going. The tarp is excellent as well. Nothing to rot out on the Dogg, all stainless and Poly. Im pretty sure the Snow Ex is still a powder coated frame, that means up keep.IMO thats BS, for the cost of the Snow Ex it should be stainless. Everything that can rot on a spreader will fall off if not maintained. I have better things to do then repainting spreaders every year.
    IMO warranty's are worth nothing at 3 am when your spreader craps out, so for me I went with what worked from the get go. I have no interest in being a manufacturers Alpha tester for there new products on my dime, seems its the norm now to rush a product to market, claim they tested the piss out of it, then it fails and you have to fight just to get it fixed.
    My 2 cents.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Friends of mine run the Snow-ex and they havn't really had any problems with them. As long as the salt is dry everything works great. We plow up around the 70 acre range and were looking for more. I was contemplating about just getting a Snow-Ex for back-up. You can throw one in the back of a truck in 10 min if it's already wired. They won't put the salt on as heavy as Id like to see but you just have to drive slower. They are over priced IMO.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks guys Im certainly not trying to salt all my accounts with this just wanted to try an electric and we use straight salt only bulk and alot of it
  12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The salt dogg spread everything I put threw it last year, dry and dripping wet salt went threw it with out a problem. I got it mid season so I only put about 35 ton threw it. The price is right IMO, and nothing to paint EVER is key. I think that unit would easily handle 100 ton a season and not break a sweat. I will find out this coming season, looks like we should be up around 125 ton this winter.
  13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Down East 1.5 SS electric, works great.