1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which do you Prefer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColliganLands, Jan 1, 2009.

?

Which type of work do you PREFER?

1. Residential

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Commercial

50 vote(s)
    75.8%
  3. Municipal

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

just thinking about which type of work i prefered
    and wondering which you guys like/enjoy the most
    mine is definately municipal plowing

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

you do municipal plowing? with what kind of truck?

3. ColliganLands

2005 f350 6.0 diesel
    they hired subs with everything from a chevy 2500 to big ten wheelers
    on my route its me in my trucka nd the towns brand new f550 dump for the whole 12 miles of roadway

4. ColliganLands

should have included why do you prefer this type of work?
    oops
    i prefer the municipal work becasue its all going straigth for the most part no backing up or reposition every 2 seconds like in my driveways

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I perfer when nobody bothers me and just lets me do my job.
    I was a city worker for 14 years and plowed the roads, now I mostly do driveways.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I voted commercial, since I've never done municipal (maybe i'd like it more?)....but I know the most fun I ever have is on the bigger com. jobs working SS's & trucks together, whether I am in a SS or truck, it dosent matter.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a mix of small commercial/schools and driveways. The most fun are the challenging/exciting driveways. You know, down hill through a blueberry field with drifts so deep the snow comes over the top of the v plow. And the turn off the road is so steep nobody would ever come down in to help you out if you get stuck. The mix is good for me. I've plowed commercials for 12 hours straight before, gets kinda old.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

im just starting so i would prefer residential work just to get started

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Commercial mostly

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I voted for residential because that's about 90% of our business. But this year I have been getting a lot of requests to put in bids for commercials. I think I like those better. Tough decision on which to vote for.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I prefer the one that makes the most money.
    Resis work out very well if you can keep them all close together and can do a bunch in an hour.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I voted Commercial.

I have found that there's no money in resis where I'm at...nobody wants to sign a contract, and everybody wants it as either an on call basis (which does not work), or with something ridiculous like a 4 inch trigger.

Try finding a "zero tolerance" resi...lol.

I don't even offer it to my residential lawn maintenance clients...funny thing is..I've never even seen anyone outhere plowing a residential driveway...homeowners have the mentality of "o forget it, it'll melt soon enough.

Only resi my company will ever plow is my own drive.

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I only plow resi's so I can't really vote for anything but that. My route is all in my town, so it's pretty tight- makes me some good $$$.