1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer joystick/handheld

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut L&L, Nov 12, 2005.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Ive always used the joystick and aside from finding a mounting place, it usually works well for me. Im getting a new plow installed this week and was wondering if I should upgrade the controller to the handheld. Its a western by the way.

What do you prefer.
  2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I have the hand held and would'nt have anything else. Seems it saves fatigue.
  3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the joystick controls , I always seemed to be looking / fumbling for the handheld in the dark . Always moving it out of the way or getting something tangled in the cord. Oh well different strokes for different folks.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

With the Western, handheld all the way...Blizzard, its gotta be the shoebox.:nod:
  5. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Handheld for my Meyer and Fisher. I steer with the left hand, right hand is big enough to hold the controller and shift the auto trans at the same time.
  6. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

joy stick, old habits die hard.
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My trucks are stick-shifts, so the controller and tranny are both the same hand. Joysticks for me, no fumbling! And I don't know why anyone would want to strap/velcro anything to their leg, don't you have to get out once in a while, if for nothing else but a stretch?
  8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Derek, I would think that the ahh, strap / velcro could come off. Not like the controller was surgically implanted into the knee cap.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yeah, then you need to put them on and off every time you hop out for a second... no thanks.

Now surgically implanted... wireless... you might be on to something....
  10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

?????? hello

Handheld once you try them it's like night and day you wont go back to the stick.
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick. Mounted on my centre armrest. I always know where it is and never have to look at it. My old joystick was mounted on the dash and that was a pain.
  12. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Hand held controller for me.
  13. wddodge

wddodge Member

Joystick mounted on a bracket that's in-line with my hand when my arm is laying on the center console. I've tried the hand held controllers but the cord keeps getting tangled up in stuff.

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here. You guys that keep getting the cord stuck in stuff....

Where do you have your cord running?? How much stuff do you have in your truck?? Seriously???
  15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have had both versions. I though that the "Fishstick" was goin to be the balls but I ended up gining it away because I was afraid of hanging myself! Between the cords for the controller, cell-phone, the company two-way radio, and the Towns two-way radio they were constantly getting tied up and mixed up! The phone would ring and I would go to answer it and the plow would angle, the town would call on the two-way and I would call my guy's etc.............. Keep it simple and clean, go with the joystick! If you are mounting it in a Ford you can bend the bracket so that it mounts in the area that is covered by the removable panel to the left of the steering wheel.
  16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Okay okay okay..... I hear ya.

Kinda sounds like you all need to get some communications straightened out as well??? Get the company to switch to Verizon's Push to talk, or Nextel, or whatever and get rid of 2 of those cords anyways, sheesh.... :D

I guess since I'm a solo op, with a cell phone that'll last charged up so it just stays in the pocket for when I'm out shoveling as well, that I don't have all those cords to get tangled up.

Plus, whenever I'm driving, it's just setting on my thigh, so I'm not reaching for it wherever, usually.
  17. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is 3 sticks mounted to the floor. (Got to love central hydraulics) I like it that why since its always in the same spot.
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, never used anything BUT a joystick- so far. Don;t like the idea of the cord to get tangled around the wheel- yes I use 2 hands to steer often. Drive an auto now, but the next truck (someday) will be a standard again and I'll have the stick mounted to the shift where a 2spd rear knob would be.
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have both. After buying the hand held you will find it works differently as well. The hand held at least on the Fisher keeps the valves open and lets the blade slowly stop it is like having a mind of it's own. Trying to make it horizontal to the front bumper is a pain in the A33. It will not float without pressing the down button for a long time. Also when the snow sticks to the blade you can't go quick right left and flick the snow off. If you want to get up tight to a garage door with the blade strait it almost impossible to do it.

Get the joystick; it does what you tell it to do. The hand held are possessed! lol
  20. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Love the fishstick, also, if this is a new install its usually a lot cheaper to try the fishctick now then have to buy it seperate later.