1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Dei-cer do I use?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IBSafe, Sep 22, 2011.

1. IBSafe

IBSafe Junior Member

Any suggestions on what is a good deicer to use in the East? I would like to have something that doesn't track into stores like salt does, and I think low corrosion would be a good selling point also.

Does anybody use liquid Magnesium Chloride in the humid east as a deicer, applied directly to parking lots and walkway surfaces?

I am planning to place bids on several small commercial lots for the first time. I have a brother-in-law who ran a plowing/deicing business in Washington State and was very succesful. He used liquid MAG with corrossion inhibitor. After talking with my brother-in-law, I was sold on the liquid MAG. His customers loved it because it was clean and it didn't track into their businesses, and it boasted to be much less corrosive than Calcium Chloride, or salt, and was supposed to be better for concrete than salt.

I got some quotes for it by the tote, but it was very expensive ($600 to $900 a tote delivered). My brother-in-law paid arround $1 a gallon. Later I was informed that the liquid mag greatly attracts moisture, and with being in the east, (Upstate, NY) the MAG collects moisture out of the air, (because of high humidity, vrs low humidity in western states) and if applied too heavy can cause slippery conditions even on a dry road.

I started out thinking liquid, but am reconcidering. I had a supplier suggest I use MAG flakes instead of liquid. Wouldn't Flakes trake into stores more than liquid? I am also concidering Seneca Mineral's LS25CI. Any one used this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  2. SMayoInsurance

SMayoInsurance Junior Member