1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Deere tractor to load pallets?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jlouki01, Jan 3, 2009.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I have a 2305 Deere tractor that we use the heck out of for small landscaping jobs and odds and ends. Max lift on it is roughly 8-900 lbs.

We are considering keeping it and adding another unit to help with pallets of rock salt. 2350lbs.

Anyone using a 3000 / 4000 series to load heavy pallets like these?

The only tractor spec'd to load over 2500 is the 4x20 series with 400cx loader. Optioned out right it's almost a 40k tractor. That puts me into a very nice skid steer that will load anything I need?

2. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

A 400 series tractor will NOT load a 1 ton pallet, at best 1500 pounds. I have had several of them and know. The smallest Deere tractor you can load pallets is the 5000 series. I myself use a 317 skid. With the rear weights I can lift 2500# but its a load.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Not a Deere guy, but I can tell you that NO compact tractor will load much more than 1500/1700 lbs

You have to get into a utility tractor (65hp + ) to be able to move a full pallet.

I've found that Deere loaders move less than NH loaders on the compact tractors. (but not enough to really make a difference)

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The OP was talking about a 4000 series not a 400 series

My 320 or 250 will handle up to a 3500# skid but it is about maxed out

5. cretebaby

IDK how the Deere compares to the NH either but I load a 2000# implement hanging on a chain from the bucket on a TC45 and it works well

IDK how much difference it makes with the skid being 2500# and the center of gravity being out a little farther

6. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Good info guys thanks. I do more things with a tractor than a skid steer that's why I ask.
    The books show the 4000 series with a 400cx loader can do 2600ish. With a cab it's a 40k tractor compared to a used 320 Skid Steer with a cab at 26-33k..

7. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Our 4120 will lift a pallet FROM the truck, but will not lift it once lowered. We have a 400cx loader I believe which lifts a little more than than the 400x. The pallets I am talking about weighed 2300 lbs. give or take. Also, even with the tires loaded, you need a big counterweight, like 1500 plus pounds. My back tires were off the ground partially when lifting these pallets. We had a new holland tc33d last, which is smaller and comparable to the 3x20 deere series, and would not lift but half a pallet.

8. cretebaby

If I were you I would take a good look at the NH tractors

I have run both and like the NH better

Dont tell JD i said that;)

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I can tell you for a fact that a TC45 with the NH loader will lift exactly 33 bags (1650lbs) of salt/fertilizer/seed/whatever) on a pallet. It won't do 34 bags.

too bad they put 50 bags on a pallet. :cry:

10. dan67

dan67 Member

Jd 300

have a 300cx on a 32 hp JD, you might get it on the ground but thats it's. I've lifted some good loads but also have lifted the rear off the ground at the wrong times.

snow pictures 003.jpg