1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which controller for Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Newnamlawn, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

I am finally going to order a blizzard 810 for 03 3500 duramax. I was wondering which controller everyone preffered. I talked with blizzard and the price they qouted me including the joystick control. I am intrested in that one and the new touchpad. Which do yall think is better. Thanks for the help. Josh

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  2. North Country

North Country Senior Member

It pains me to type this but....I had decided to buy an 810 until I went to test one the other day,<b> I don't think I have ever seen a better example of mis-matched equipment/ technology! Blizzard has what I believe the best plow on the market and hands down the worst set of controllers!</b>

The stock rocker switch controller is absurd , it is way to big and not at all user friendly, the joystick is massive and not very useful if you prefer the stick on your left. The rocker switches Blizzard uses are the equivalent of a early '90s cell phone.

I personally don't like the touch pad control on any plow but the Blizzard touch pad is light years behind the fishstik. There is no way to hold it comfortably because it is square with a rigid cable coming out of the bottom where your palm is, when handling it in one hand it is awkward.

The best option was the touch pad until the dealer told me it was like $200 for the upgrade! What?

I am going to call Blizzard and see if there is anything in the works controller wise or possibly a dealer could post the info here.

In conclusion I am torn I really don't want a Vee so I will most likely have to get a new 8' or 8.5' minute mount w/ wings

I researched everything about the 810 for months but did not pay enough attention to the controller, Someone please tell me there is a better controller for this awesome plow! - michael

3. I was also not very impressed with the Blizzard controllers when I purchased mine. There was no way that the standard joystick unit was going in my truck, so I upgraded to the touchpad.

Even the touch pad felt akward and I couldn't figure out how to comfortably use it. I was going to try to wire up my own controller for the up-down-left-right functions and only use the touchpad for the wings, but I didn't get a chance to before the first snow. (I have seen a post where this was done and it looked good.)

I must say, after plowing with the touchpad for 1/2hour I had no more complaints. It worked just fine and quickly became familiar and comfortable. I had no more desire to change the controller at all.

The bottom line, get the touchpad and don't worry about it. I don't think I would want and try to use the standard joystick-rocker switch setup. Blizzard definitely needs to do away with that thing, it looks like a high-tech nasa device from the 60's or 70's.

4. North Country

Matt - I was thinking that I might get used to it but it wasn't a $4000 chance I wanted to take. What do you think a company would say if you bought a plow in July and in November you tried to return it saying the controller was too hard to use!?

Where do they get the nuggets to charge a $200 upgrade over two other controllers that are not even an option? It's like buying a new car with four flat tires and having to pay an upgrade for tires with air.- michael

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If the plow was so great then forget the controler. Not to say its not a BIG issue if the controlers suck but as others said above you could make almost any other controler work if you know what your doing. I don't happen to be one of those people who knows much about wiring but i am sure its possible. With that said it might be a little harder to do with a blizzard because you could not use a v controler because of the wings. I do think blizzard needs to get their act togather with the controlers old looking and stupid if you ask me. Way too bulky, too much wasted space. The fishstick is much more compact. I also would not buy a blizzard because of their mount, it encourages leaving the plow lights on the front of the vehicle all the time which is stupid and their mount (truck side) is too "high profile" its almost as bad as the boss mount.

6. North Country

The new Blizzard 810's have pins to pull the head gear now so that is not a problem.

As far as the controllers, I still don't want to re-invent the wheel after purchasing a $4000 plow. You have got to ask yourself, 'How much is my time worth?' Rebuilding the controller could lead to a long bout of tweaking, not to mention voiding the warranty. - michael

7. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

8. -North Country, I understand your concerns with going with the Blizzard. You just have to do what you think is best. There are a lot of legit. reasons to steer away from the Blizzards and stay with the brand that has treated you well.

I also know that my time is worth alot more $$/hour while plowing than any other time. So if I had to spend a few hours rigging up a controller it's well worth it to me, because I will get those few hours back the next time it snows due to the fact that I save many hours w/ my Blizzard vs. any other blade. And like I said, plowing hours are the most profitable type for me.

They definitely are not perfect plows, they have there good and
    bad points just like the rest. Good Luck

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

North Country, Email me or Pm me for picts of the controller H Riderca is talking about. I do alot of custom work for all the plow lines to custom mount them to the owners liking. Jerre