1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which control box for Whelen LFL Liberty?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Maritime Matt, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Maritime Matt

Maritime Matt Junior Member

Just picked up a used Whelen LFL Liberty SX8AAAA 49" Amber LED bar minus the harness and box. They left about a foot of pigtail of the 2 harnesses hanging out where they cut it.
    In addition to the standard 4 corner strobes, it has 2 of the 6 modules on the forward and 2 of the 6 on the rear. May add takedowns and alleys in the future and a backrack with 4 flood/spots instead. What control box choices are available? Would like it backlit so its easy to see at night. Factory/aftermarket?
    Install will be on my 2000 F350 dually utility body on the roof. I ordered the roof mounts from a local dealer and getting a new harness to splice in as well.
    Thanks.
    Matt

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I just ordered a federal signal control box with a slide switch and toggles. That way I can set up the slider switch to run only my rear ambers on position one and position two can be rear and grille, and three can be all amber. But I think think it will be a good deal all around. Alot of options with it.

3. Maritime Matt

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a 7 rocker switch box and a back-up alarm from sirennet.com. I'll keep you posted.

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

that 49in bar will fit weird on a truck it is too short

5. Maritime Matt

Not at all. It fits good and looks great. I'll get a pic when I can.
    For $150, I could not go wrong.

6. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

7. xeonpro

xeonpro Member

8. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea. Can you get the labels custom typed? Any pics of the final product?

9. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

I got a 49 on my truck and it fills the roof nicely i only payed 500 for mine and it is loaded

10. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

2 things, the switch box really depends on the number of features you want to use on the lightbar. If you just want front and rear then you only need 2 switches. If you add takedowns and alleys 4 switches. the other think is I have the 500 halogen takedown and alley lights for 10.00 each with the bulbs included. Thats the light with built in reflector and bulb for 10.00 each. If you do takedowns and alleys that 40.00 for all 4. You may need a harness if the bar does not have it and I should have them laying around also for cheap. Let me know. Louis www.strobesnmore.com

11. Maritime Matt

My Liberty came off a totaled vehicle at an auction. No stolen equipment for me. Dead mounted it right to the roof. I used Blue Seas Cable Clams to run the 2 cables under the light bar for a waterproof install.
    I installed a Sirenet 6 Switch control box and it worked well. Here's how I wired it: The bar had 2 harnesses coming out. 1 power and the 17 wire harness.
    !st- Left blank- Possibly take-downs-alleys
    2nd- Running lights on the corner strobes
    3rd- Corner strobes
    4th- Forward facing strobes
    5th- Rear facing strobes
    6th- Will be for spots/floods/worklights/ side/rear/
    Matt