1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Clutch?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jersey Joe, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

Hello...I have a 1991 4x4 pickup with V6 and auto locking hubs. I put a Western Unimount plow on it a couple of years ago, and last time I used it I can smell the clutch burning. I only do my driveway and some neighbors, nothing commercial. I want to replace it with something that can handle plowing but still be drivable for my wife. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I'd go aftermarket (Centerforce or similar).

They make clutches that are heavier-duty than stock, that won't require the legs of a powerlifter to disengage, unless you want ot that way...

:)

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you riding it during plowing?
    Might need to drop it into 4low

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Um.... WHAT TRUCK???!?!

5. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

Probably doesn't matter.

It's either a 1/2 Ton or an S- Series. Either way it's probably not geared ideally for plowing.

Plowing in low-range would help that a lot, but the OP sounds like he's looking for advice as to clutch replacement at this point.

Replace it with a quality aftermarket clutch that's more HD, and start plowing in 4-lo moving forward

6. jasonv

from kannada

It absolutely matters. How can anyone recommend a clutch if they don't know what the clutch is for? I can recommend a stock honda civic clutch.

And you're assuming that its a chevrolet. How unrealistic.

Not necessarily. A failing clutch will slip. Even with good gearing.

Again, need to know the vehicle the clutch is going in to.

That isn't saying anything at all.

7. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I don't think Joe is dumb enough to try and put a Civic clutch in his truck.

Unless you are trying to sell him a clutch - It does not matter what truck he has.

The OP is simply asking for advice on what replacement clutch to get.

Not trying to flame anyone, just pointing out an option.

8. jasonv

from kannada

And how much help do you think it is for him to hear an answer that equates to "a clutch".

9. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I told the OP to check out Centerforce. I've had good luck with them in the past.

I guess it's up to him to go online and check them out. Pretty much any aftermarket supplier ( Summit, JEGS, etc.) handles them, and between online chat assistance, search engines, and email he should be able to order what he wants / needs.

So far all you've done is shout at the OP, and piss all over my attempt to give an opinion.

Keep in mind that's all it is. You don't have to like and/or agree with it.

I'm done with you.

Have a nice day!