1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Cell Phone Carrier?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by stroker79, Nov 29, 2008.

Which Cell Phone Carrier do you Use?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2009.
  1. AT&T/Cingular

19 vote(s)
  2. Verizon

24 vote(s)
  3. Sprint/Nextel

33 vote(s)
  4. TMobile

5 vote(s)
  5. USCellular

7 vote(s)
  6. Other

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have used just about all of them. Currently im with AT&T and have no issues, the only problem is my blackberry is having issues and im told it is not fixable. My contract is up mid next year and I have really been impressed with the new Blackberry Storm. I like the blackberry phones since they are desinged for exactly what I use them for and they arent as blingy and loaded with crap features I dont need.

The problem is, The Storm is on the Verizon network. This is the only carrier I havent used, I hear many great things but also equally bad things.

What carrier do you all use? I know the areas are different but around here they all work fine so service area is not an issue.

Also, please let me know of any bad experiances you have had or things to look out for.
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I use Verizon, never had a problem they all know me by name.

There Push-to-Talk is great.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I use Verizon for my service provider, and have had good luck. I don't really drop any calls and I have good coverage even in N. Wi and UP of MI.

I also utilize a data package so I can review emails on my phone which has worked well.
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Also, the one thing I would like to try is the push-to-talk w/ verizon but I haven't found many people that have switched to use this feature.
  5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I use US Cellular because it is the only game in town. Fortunately, it's not a bad service. There are definitely dead spots, but hey, its Maine, what do you expect.
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Stroker, there was another long thread about this. Verizon takes the cake here, by a long shot. Make sure they are just as good in your area. They will give you a 30 or a 60 day "test drive" to try them out. I only have nextels in all of my trucks because of their radio, but have put some serious thought into going with Verizon. It is so much cheaper, its not even funny.
  7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

dude I've talked to you . 2 times today and 2 times your phone droped the call .
  8. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i have sprint/nextel and i find the service and phone to be great. customer service is another story but the phone doesnt break ever so thats not really an issue
  9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have verizon. Its the best carrier around my area.
  10. Steve 455

Steve 455 Member

Verizon sucks here where I live:mad: It worked OK everywhere but at my house. Nothing worse than trying to talk on the phone in your house and having the call get dropped every time:realmad:

US Cellular was great, no problems:D

Im with T-Mobile now and they are good too:cool:
  11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

#1 reason why I left them. I had nextel for 4 years or so and the day the merger happened the customer service went to the floor.

Also another big reason why I went away from Nextel. When we went back to cingular(AT&T) we reduced our monthly payment by half for just mine and my wifes phones. Plus, out here Sprint is NOTORIOUS for call dropping. I had a sprint phone when I was working for someone else and that phone would drop calls CONSTANTLY. One thing that was really nice about the nexels was the phone durability and thier insurance was awesome. They replaced stuff all the time for my wife cause she can manage to break anything, LOL

It seems strang to me to switch providers for a cell phone but AT&T doent have anything that great other then the iphone which looks like a delicate little toy. The Blackberry can at least take a hit or 2.
  12. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

We use Sprint/Nextel.

I have a hybrid phone....works on Sprint's Voice and Data network, but uses Nextel's network for the push to talk.
    Works great, never had any issues with Sprint.
    Have 3 phones on their Simply Everything plan for $99 (only $99 for the first, save $5 on the secone, $10 on the third, etc..). The other 6 are on shared plans for cell phone minutes, unlimited push to talk.

Now there are Sprint phones that work entirely on the Sprint Network that can communicate with Nextel phones. The only one that works well for PTT is the Motorola.

I'm waiting for Sprint to release a smart phone that has PTT capability.

Now through one of my dist. I qualify for a partners program and save money on my bill so that's a plus :D

I have a Verizon phone as well. No problems with it, works great. No longer have a need for it, canceling in a couple months when my contract expires.

Always had two phones before Sprint bought Nextel since Nextel's voice/data network sucked (not sure if it still does or not).

AT&T/Cingular works well, had that as well.

T-Mobile sucks in my area in terms of my house and our shop. In an unincorporated area and apparently they don't have many towers near by. I had that previously as well.
    Nice feature on their website is you can type in an address and see what the coverage is like there.
  13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have found Sprint C/S has gotten much better in recent months. Great agents who really seem to know their stuff. The new Motorola V950 is an excellent phone if you have the EVDO coverage in your area for the PTT. Also if you're going to have a PTT plan Sprint is by far the cheapest. Some of the new "Everything" plans are great for the owner, and I believe you can still get a PTT only plan for your employee phones. The new phones also roam very well and I rarely drop calls with the V950. Now if you had asked me about my ic502 or i560 I would have said run away, but I'm very happy I gave them one last chance.
  14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Ok not a problem but droping calls lol

I know of about 5 areas that my phone dosnet work.

But its about 40% better then alltell down here
  15. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Sprint, Nextel here.

I just pay my bill and never call customer service ;) I do have their $99 unlimited everything plan and it works great for me. I also use sprints wireless broadband card for the laptop on the road if needed, Since my blackberry has GPS I hardly use the laptop or mapquest.com anymore for driving directions. Man is it awesome to punch in a address and get voice activated directions to bids :nod:
  16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I have sprint/nextel. The only reason I am with them is because of the 2-way. The customer service is the worst ive dealt with so far.
  17. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Just called Sprint earlier tonight to put some of the phones on seasonal stand-by......and asked a couple other random questions while I had the rep on the phone. Very helpful and very good service.
  18. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

things must have changed since i last dealt with them
  19. JDT

JDT Member

I have verizon. I have had no problems with them so far. Had US Cellular before and hated them. I can't get service at my house. But the neighbor with cingular/at&t can. Drives me nuts.
  20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had verizson when it was bell alantic then i had cingular its was good then i had nextel it was ok but everyone has ptt so im going back to att in mid January