1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which cabs can I use for my '78

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ShafferNY, Sep 21, 2002.

1. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

I have a '78 K-10, it has the removable hump in the center of the cab. I've been told that any cab from a 73-87 will work. So, I aquired a cab from an '82, then to find out that the hump in the center of some of the cabs are different. The cab from the '82 doesn't have a removable hump like my '78 it's all part of the floor pan. I need to know what cabs will work for my application here. my truck is a '78 K-10, 350, TH-350, NP203, Full-Time four wheel drive.

The cab I have from the '82, is from an automatic C-10(2wd) that's all I know.

Preferably I'd like something '77-'80 with a removable hump.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Try a search here. the swap and options have been discussed in detail. IF you wanted to use the 82 cab, you would have to modify it to fit the older fenders and hood on it.

73 - 80 is the old style, and 81 - 87 is the new style.

Do a search on "cab swap".

~Chuck

3. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

I thought all I had to do to use the new style (81-87) cab is just remove the trim piece around the windshield wipers and everything would bolt right up. I know the hinges for the hood are different but the old style are mounted on the fenders and shouldn't be a problem.

I'll do a search on the topic. Thanks

4. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

Okay, I did a search. Everything looks like it will work, the only problem I have, is the hump on my New style(82) cab is not of the removable type and sits lower than the Old style cab(78) with the removable hump. Damn, and it's so hard to find a good cab here in Upstate NY.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The hump is spot welded in, and can be remoped relatively easily. Then you would just have to drill holes to mount the hump from your 79. Use #12 panhead sheet metal screws.

~Chuck

6. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Junior Member
    from ohio

replacement cab

I have a 76 c-10 that was pretty well shot, floorhad large holes and frame was coming through at mount points. I found a perfect 84 c-20 cab for $150 and went on easily. the new fenders aftermarket from certigreen went on perfect and where a perfect match in all areas to the original panels doors also.You do have to take the front bib off by the fron windshield and not use it, also there is a post on here about the windshield wipers and it was exactly like the author sais and only took a couple of minutes to mount the old one. there were a few other things that poped up but I dont think all want to read the long story, if you want any info email me ishank@neo.rr.com

7. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

Knightcrawler,
    Did the cab from your C-20 have a manual transmission? The reason I ask is, I think that any cab that came factory with a manual transmission or 4wd had the removable hump, so they didn't have to manufacture so many different floor pan configurations, just different sheetmetal for the center hump.

I did read the post about the windshield wipers sticking up to far and that you must reuse the ones from your older body style truck. That shouldn' t be a problem though.

I'd fix the cab on my truck now, as I already have all the parts(floor pans,cab corners,rockers,floor supports,kick panels...etc. for both sides), but it's rusted pretty bad under the front windshield and the "A" pillars have hole rusted through.

8. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Junior Member
    from ohio

new cab

my 76 originaly had a manual tranny, but the new cab wasnt. I had already changed over to an auto so the hump didnt matter to me. If you are going to keep the manual then you can take the hump out and use the one that was originaly in your truck just be neat when you cut and use the old one as a pattern, if you switch to an auto lokar make every thing you need to change gears and they keep it very simple and neat.