1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which cable is adjustable. cause i think iv got mine backards

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 24, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

conventional pump. adjustable one is the lift, static non adjustable one is on left right valve. is this right?

either way, how is it adjusted? therea a small nut that i can be adjusted but it doesent move the cable that i see.

thanks

2. cameren_j

cameren_j Junior Member

the turn cable is the adjustable one the lift is non adjustable. However I have figured out in my experiences with my cable plow that ya can use a adjustable cable for the lift.

3. birddseedd

ya. i figured it out. you dont want to know all of the troubles iv had the last 2 days. my plow actually fell off

:)

4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

i feel kinda stupid but i swore to my life that my cable was adjusted right on my plow...spent 2 hours to find the problem... and turns out it was the cable. and good luck with your mount!

5. birddseedd

ya. I had to get the welder out at 530 in the morning. it sucked. I didn't have enough penetration on my welds. a noob mistake.

6. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

oo that sucks! what kinda welder?

7. birddseedd

old 220 lincon. got real lucky with it. i couldent find anything i could afford.tried a few 115 wire welders but they just werent powerfull enough. then i found a neighbor sellin one for 150 bucks.

8. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

9. birddseedd

coulda been more than a 110 wire. did you use gas? gas helps. i know a guy with a 330 wire welder. i didnt know that even existed.

honestly i wouldent mind having a small wire welder for simpler more delicate jobs

10. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ya we used gas. and it was doing great up untill the last weld. the bottom of the bracket had dirt and rust. but after a few minutes of a wire brush got it all cleaned up and welded

11. birddseedd

ya. gas makes a HUGE difference on welding. still cannot compare with the penetration you get with a stick welder. but it does make it so you can weld things a wire welder without gas would never weld.

but dang. gas tanks cost so dang much

12. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

yes it does! we went to my cousins work where it was all indoors, heated, very roomy and the amount we had access to was amazing! hell we had a over head winch to lift the bracket and hold it in place while the welding was done...all of our material was all right there! and ya sometimes a stick welder is the way to go... usually never have any problems with them. but with a wire welder the finished product (if your decent) looks so much better with the diming

13. birddseedd

well that was horrible... tried a wire welder at my friends garage. Dumb thing wouldn't even melt the wire. just isn't even big enough welder for that thick metal.

plan was to tack it there on level ground, then come home and permanently weld it with my 220 arc welder.

fail,

ill have to wait untill another day and use a guys shop.