1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? which bulk spreader 2 buy ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by happy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

I am seriously considering adding another bulk spreader to the arsenal. We currently have 1 Poly salt dogg 2yd. with dual electric motors.(I like the 2 independant motors). I am looking at getting another poly salt dogg or a buyers stainless steel v box 1.8yd with dual electric motors. Does anyone know which spreader would be the better choice, and why? The v box has the drag chain, and the poly salt dogg has the screw auger. Can anyone help introduce me to the pros and cons with each unit. I am kind of curious to figure out which one has more power to bring the material back to the spinner? Any clues?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well i'm not familiar with the salt dogg 2 yd you have but i have been around both types of spreaders
    we had 3 v-box gas engine units. im not a big fan of the gas engines powering the salter,,to many problems that could arise,,will arise.
    the chain ones need adjustment and lubrication------alot. replacement chains----expensive!!!!!
    if you back into something,,,alot more will break and cost you alot more to fix
    we now have 7 polly v-boxs and love them..ALOT less maintaince...2 grease fittings 3-4 plugs and your good to go. as a matter of fact just had a guy back into our salt pile to unload,,,bent the he!! outta the rear bearing support...1/2 day and a new bearing and it was fixed. now with a chain v-box not a chance.
    only issue i have seen is not being able to break up clumps like the chain ones will.
    hope this helps,,,just my .02

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If you have luck with your poly unit then stick with what you know. I was thinking of getting a poly salt dogg for my new truck, but decided to get another truckcraft insert and tailgate replacements salter for the unit instead. I know the unit and I like the features it has and it does the job right. I cant tell you the differences as I never owned an auger or chain drag vbox, but im sure there will be a few guys who chime in. Good Luck,

4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have both, as metioned above, chains, sprokets are a nightmere. Gas engines love to let you down at 2am in cold temps. Next i'm going with a small dump truck set up.

5. joester

joester Junior Member

My opinion is that the buyers stainless electric vbox is a better choice than a poly unit with an auger. We have experienced problems with moist bulk salt not wanting to flow out of the poly salt dogg. The auger was just drilling a hole in the salt. Our other 2 electric units were handling the same salt perfectly. We sold the poly unit immediately after that storm mid season. While I realize the poly unit works fine with dry salt, I cannot always count on that when ordering in bulk. For a little background, we run 10 salt trucks. Any future spreaders will definitely be stainless and electric powered. I also do not like the fact that poly cannot be repaired easily like stainless, in the event of something getting backed into or cracked. Let me know if you have any questions in particular.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

There are pros and cons with each but as for more power getting the material to the spinner that would go to the bed chain. I've had several chain boxes and have a Salty Doggy 1500 now.It works but if Buyers went with U.S. made motors, controllers, and harnesses the units would then be the cats azz.

7. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I cant speak to those models, but I have a western ice breaker (gas, chain), a swensen Poly hawk (electric, chain), and a SnowEx 8500 (electric, auger). Here is my opinion. If the gas motor is running good and in good condition (big IF) then that is the most productive unit I have. The motor runs the chain faster and has alot more power with heavy material. Next is the auger if you the ability to control the auger speed like the SnowEx. Last is the electric chain unit. It is really slow and just seams to struggle with heavy wet materal. Now, from a reliability standpoint, the two electric units are the way to go. The gas motor does seam to like to let you down at 2am as stated above. I am a big fan of the poly hopper that both the swensen and the SnowEx have. The Ice breaker is a PITA to keep from rusting to pieces. Every year we have to weld new steel on and re-enforce old areas. Hope this helps a little. Its a tough decision. Tim

8. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Love our poly electric. Be smart, keep your salt dry and you will never have a problem. the guys who have problems leave the salt in the hopper for days with no cover. we have ours covered and have never had it jam the auger. Id go poly electric auger.

9. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I should clarify my post. In Colorado, we don't use very much salt, we use Ice Slicer which is very large and heavy. We need to put out as much and as fast as possible so your hopper doors are wide open and the speed of the chain is as fast as possible. Its mostly stored out in the elements so it is wet when we load it. I never return to my yard with "slicer" in my spreaders. We always find places to use up what we have. If you leave it in the machine for more then 8-10 hours, you are screwed no mater what spreader you have. Tim

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

we use slicer or the treated salt in our polys. the only issues we had was a bad load that had alotta rocks in it and they got cought between the auger and the opening where the salt comes out. now if we had an adjustable flow control, it might not be an issue. now that still beats all the issues we had with the gas v-boxs...i used to dread picking up the phone from the guys who were running them,,cause i knew they were broken.