1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FGLandscape, Dec 19, 2010.

1. FGLandscape

FGLandscape Junior Member

Looking to get a V plow and wanted some input on which brand? It is going on a 2001 Ford F-350 Diesel Pros vs. Cons for each

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I may have preferences but around here it comes down to whoever is the most responsive to deal with. I'll buy from someone close to my service area that services their plows and has parts, competant staff and hopefully is not an *******.

That's what dictates who I buy a plow from.
    Pete

3. FGLandscape

FGLandscape Junior Member

I was thinking about that especially if something were to happen in a large storm. Somewhere close that can service and/or carry parts. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a boss V and a snoway V. I like different things about both of them, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Boss. The pros of the boss is it's much faster it mounts and dismounts easier, and it's wider. The cons on the boss is it doesn't scrape well back dragging. The pros on the snoway is it has down pressure, and scrapes to almost bare pavement while back dragging. The cons, and I'm sure because it's one of the first V blades snoway camoe out with, is it's very slow. However, you need to make sure it's a local company that has parts stocked, and is available 24/7 for breakdowns. There is my response to your question, Good Luck in your business.

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have ran meyer, western and fisher. I like fisher and western most, but I switched this year to all fisher because they have the trip edge and it is stainless steel so the moldboard will not rust, and if they can handle the rough Maine winters then I think they will hold up fine pushing snow on large open pavement parking lots. Dealer support is good, but it is tough to find a good one sometimes. If you do a little search on here you can find the pro and cons of all brands. Good Luck.

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I like my Western V's. Trip edges are nice. They seem really durable. But like others are saying, I have a great dealer. That helps tremendously. As far as Sno-way, they are made in the next town over from me. But I don't have much of a desire for their product. As far as Boss, they are alright. But there are a few things I don't like about them. So all in all Western/Fisher would be my choice.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher Xtreme V is the best V plow out there IMO. I say that becouse yiu can get it in stainles, it has the trip edge design, and it has very fast hydrolics. The down fall to this plow is that it has the MM2 mounting system wich can be hard to put on if all the conditions are not perfect. But, I have never used an Xtreme V.

8. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I have an older Fisher EZ VEE (MM1) on my F550, its still a great plow and I would recommend it. Powdercoating is starting to flake off so its going to need to be completely taken apart and stripped and repainted this summer but other than that its held up very well considering its roughly 10 years old now.

9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Why no go on the Meyer? My local Meyer rep is the best of the bunch, Fisher rep is a dick, Boss is a good guy with very close to home service. I was inclined to give the meyer rep a shot so I'm interested to hear why they may not work.
    Pete

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Have you noticed that most of the Meyer/Diamond plows that you see in the area are owned by those that are not seriously into snow removal? The only company that I can think of that use the Meyer/Diamond plows is CT Charters General Contracting, and I'd suspect it's partly because they are both out of Charters Settlement.

But when you take a look at the company's in the area here that are seriously into the snow game such as Clintar, Nutri Lawn, City of Fredericton,Waybren Ent, Charmac as well as a lot of the smaller snow removal company's, they all run Fisher & Boss plows. A friend of mine just priced a new Meyer 7'6 straight blade trip edge @ $4,500, for a Fisher or Boss the price would be over 6 grand plus tax. So price play's an important role.

The one thing this area lacks is good dealer support for snow plows. For a long time the only choice we had was ether Fisher or Meyer until Boss came along, we do now have a Western dealer.

When it comes to a V plow, I have a 3 year old Boss 8'2 poly V (wish I had the 9'2"). I've had no issues with it at all, I love the smart hitch 2, also prefer the direct lift over the chain. The only dislike I have is that it is a full trip plow, if you are in scoop mode pushing on crushed rock or a dirt surface, it will dig into the ground pretty bad if you find a soft spot. If Boss was to come out with a trip edge V, I'd waste no time getting one.

11. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Nothing Runs like a deere

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

^^^
    Wat.

If I were to buy a V plow again today, I would still buy a Boss. They have the best V on the market hands down when compared to the competition. If you were to add a 8 inch high trip edge a la Hiniker, there would be no real reason to look at any other V out there.

If you have a Boss dealer around, I would highly suggest you go take a look for yourself, and then compare them to Western/Fisher, Hinikers, and Sno-Ways.

Again, dealer support is key.

13. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Noticed a few Arctic plows running around Fredericton too,but other than that mostly Diamond and Fisher from what I can see

14. peterng

peterng Senior Member

It's not dealer support but I don't think you can beat Derek over at City Spring for support, wicked nice guy too. See when the time comes, but support has to be #1 for me. Scott Mitchell is out by me, he does the installs/service for Mike at Norquip. Great guy, but he's a busy boy.

I just bought some pro wings from Mike, his father is a great banjo player. Good guys.
    Pete