1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brand Snowblower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bradman0087, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

I am going to need a snow blower for my new house. I am not going to be able to afford a plow this year on my s10 so i figured i would get a snow blower..

It needs to be electric start selfpropelled 2 stage headlight. my local lowes store has a troybuilt 208cc for $749 or should i go for a craftsman or cubcadet? or something differnt all togather?
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I would look a used Toro's before I would spend a bunch on a box store blower.

Go to craigslist.com and type in toro and see what ya get, you might find a great starter blower. good luck.
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you want new, Ariens pro grade is a great machine. Stay away from any cheap series blowers with a stamped out of tin front differential, You want a cast iron if you want it last!

I have two Ariens that are from the early late 60's that still work!
  4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i have had an ariens for almost 15 years now and its still going strong...now its for sidealks only since i got a plow truck..but it worked great on my drives before
    good luck
  5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i have a Ariens and never have a problem with it at all. just dont get one from homedepot or anything....go to a Ariens dealer to get one.
  6. Let_It_Snow

Let_It_Snow Junior Member

I agree with Indyplower. Find a nice used one with a cast iron differential. I have a 1979 Toro 24" and 1985 Toro 36" they work great and both have electric start. I do routine maintenance just like you would on a new one. The 1979 Toro was only $60. My neighbor sold it to me because he wanted a new one and now he wishes he had his old one back!
  7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i really dont know anymore. last couple years even the box stores have been coming out with some serious machines for sale.

i checked with my local john deere and they have some serious snowblowers there too.
    "this aint the kind of snowblower grandpa used"

amazing the new equipment they have out now.
    if your willing to pay top dollar start looking at john deere dealers or dealers that sell heavy equipment.
    im still in shock over how things have changed.

you could be looking in the 1500 to 2000+ price range though unless you buy the cheapo at depo so im not sure if your wanting to go that route.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  8. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i would have to say a honda or a toro, my torro has been going for years and is still rock solid and i have a honda thats 4 years old and love it
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had a simplicity i sold it now im buying toro gor some walkways i like to stay straight gas motors
  10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

1 bad bolt says Honda but I say no way to get one, why?, my neighbor has one that died at the beginning of the season, I plowed for him all year because it broke the very first storm and it took all season to get the parts to fix it. It's was only 4 years old. I showed him my Ariens and now he in the market for a life long quality machine!
  11. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

he may have got a lemon i have had nothing but good luck with mine i just got mine out of the shed to change the oil and what not and it started first pull for me as always. also does your neighbor do normal up keep ? things like that will make a diff as well no matter what brand you own
  12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'll second a Honda, we've got an HS 55 that's working on 2 decades with nothing outside of normal maintenance also the track drive is awesome.
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

He seams to be a fussy guy with his tools but your absolutely right, maintenance is key. I think it was a drive track that let go on him. It's the one with the tank tracks. Just getting parts for something out of the ordinary may get you hung up for a long time being made so far away with parts not available state side.

I do know my Honda generator starts second pull and run perfect. Everyone with Honda engines I have talked to loves them.

DARDONINC Junior Member
    from vermont

Which ariens 2 stage is the best one or the most popular one.
    I'am looking at 9526dle or the 1130 dle
    I know one is a pro model.
    Does any one know anything about the auto traction.
  15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a bigger walk way at home i need a 4 stroke snow thrower and some res accounts