1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Boss Plows Should We Buy For Our GMC TopKick?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we have an '04 GMC TopKick...the only downfall is it is 2WD...what plow would you guys buy for this truck, especially width wise?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

10 ft v plow.

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

^^10ft municipal v

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

would a 9'2" with wings be similar enough? i ask because it would be nice if our 3/4 ton trucks could use the same plows so they are all interchangeable...maybe it's not a good idea, but just seems like if we had 5 plows that were all exactly the same it would make things much easier

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I think you would have a 9'2" tore up if you mounted it on a top kick.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. I can tear up a 9.2 pretty well on my 2500HD. I'd hate to see what happens to one on a 17,000lb kodiak.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've had my 9.2 VXT behind my 550 fully loaded doing very aggressive plowing and have never had a problem...

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Blizzard 8611 Fullsize.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine's 10 yrs old and it's held up well but I've still managed to inflict some damage. It's had a couple frames with another sitting in my shop waiting to go on before winter, a couple shattered cutting edges (old style), and it's fair share of broken welds and a bent drivers wing. It always worked though aside from the original motor dying during a storm last year. Threw my 9' straight blade on and kept plowing and had the v plow back in action for the next storm a couple days later.

11. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

our TopKick is a regular cab, 2 wheel drive, and powered by propane...it doesn't have the duramax, that's for sure..this truck we have planned for our big lots...if it does good enough on the big lots we will prob buy another, but that's besides the point...2 wheel drive scares me but we are able to put a lot of weight back there and put it in an open lot...it's the latest addition to our fleet, therefore it will prob only plow 3 or 4 lots, doubt we would tear it up that much...it would also be a backup for our other rigs...i figured having a bunch of 9'2" plows would make things easy, streamline everything...at the same time, if it's better to go 8'2" with wings on the 3/4 tons and 10' on the 5500's then that's what we will do, just figured this would be the best place to ask

let me ask this, would a 9'2" with wings be too much for our 3/4 tons? i have a super duty with the plow prep package, therefore heavy springs up front, and it's a powerstroke...my business partner has a cummins but will be upgrading soon to probably a 3500 with a cummins...or would a 8'2" with wings be the better fit? i did notice a few properties like a bank or two that we could barely squeeze by with the 8'2"...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With good tires on the back you will plow fine. We have a 6500 with a 10' Boss straight blade and have never got it stuck and we have it in schools go there are some tight areas.
    The more weight you put in the box the more stress there will be on the plow when you're riding curbs or hitting things. Our 10' has a small curve to the plow.
    A 9'2" plow with wings is a lot of weight. We have a 20-25 minute drive to our sites from the shop and the wings don't go on the plow until we get to the first site.

13. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

so i'm liking the idea of a 10' municipal plow for the Topkick…now my question is should we go straight or V? it will be our truck for big parking lots…i usually always say V, but i'm considering the straight for this situation…seems like it will be windrowing a lot, also might have an employee driving it, straight is much simpler

i believe the cost for the plows are:

Straight: $5900
    DXT: $7900

these aren't exact prices but i'm pretty sure these are correct…the initial price they gave me was installed, but we have a guy who installs them for us, so i had to take that out now i'm confused on what was what…

thoughts?

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 10' Boss straight on my '03 4500 Duramax. Plows just fine, only 2wd. Just put weight in the back end.

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm sure you already know this but a V will be more productive then a straight. A employee can be shown how to operate a V so production is going to be higher regardless. You shouldn't limit your work load because employee's don't know how to operate a plow.

If you're clearing larger lots then you really don't want to be windrowing it all. If you get a big dump, you'll be fighting to get the rows to move. The V can/will move more snow then a straight, all day long.

16. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Well it's pretty well protected behind the truck lol :drinkup:

17. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I'm not sure how the 9'2 would hold up compared to the municipal 10, I would think if you were careful and mindful of it you would be ok. If you wanted it to be interchangeable then get a set of wings, and you're looking at an 11 foot plow. make sure you have some weight back there though. I have heard they come off and on very easily. If it were me I would spend the money and get the 10 dxt. The topkick is purpose built and you should really have a heavy duty blade on it.

18. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

topkick

I have three of the same trucks that you have, propane powered, very cheap to buy, and the fuel is cheap $1.30 per gallon I run 10 foot boss v plows. Two of the trucks are low profile, one is my service truck the other one is used only to spread salt. The service truck does spin out even when weighted down to 22,000 lbs . When it gets very slick we run tire chains on the lowpro, this happens about once every 3-4 years. The other plow truck is equiped with a salt bed and running 22.5 tires does a much better job pushing snow even when the truck is empty.

19. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

What size Topkick? And what size tires? And will you be pushing no slopes?

I run an 11' Flink on mine. It handles well when 1/2 loaded (it's an 8500 RWD 40,000 GVWR). But I also have brand new 22.5 steer and drives.

20. aslc

aslc Junior Member
    from iowa

What are you getting for mpg with the propane trucks?