1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which blade to get

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IMAGE, Nov 8, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Ok guys. I have been round and round on which truck to get to plow. First an f150, then an old dodge(still getting it for a tow truck) but now I am goin to pick up a 2005 K2500 excab short box with the 6L gas engine. Found a deal on one for $13500 with 86,000 miles :)

Anyways. In the financing is $5000 to put towards a plow. What type and size plow should I get. I am really liking the Boss Vplows, but I am not stuck on them. The guy I am gonna sub for some this winter says he will pay the same no matter what plow I put on. I dont want something so big I hate driving around town with it, but I dont want a tiny plow. Also I know that the jobs he does are mostly commercial parking lots.

I am thinking the Boss HD V steel in an 8'2''.
    Or should I save some $ and get straight blade?
    Or should I go bigger V or bigger straight??

I know the price of the 7'6 on the f150 was $4500 installed at my local shop, but I didnt price anything else. Anyone know a site I can check competitive prices on other sizes and brands online?

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends what you are using the plow for. Driveways? Lots? I would go with a 8' straight blade. This blade is good for both. You can always add wings for the lots. Good luck
  3. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

If your doing big commercial lots you might want to look at the Blizzard 810, or the western wide out I DONT OWN ONE and have never used one but for windrowing they look great or you can do what i did i have the 8'2" Boss V with wings this way i can still do the big lots and pop the wings off and get in the smaller lots its up to you but i would look at the Blizzard 810 or the western Wideout. Let me know what you get and post some pics.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for the response! It will be a mix of everything I suppose. Next yr I want to go on my own, probally mostly residential, rural stuff. But you never know I could end up subbing again.

What would you guys choose for a first plow? Knowing your probally gonna own it for 10yrs and do alittle of everything with it.

Something that will last a long time and be versatile in its use.

How are the other brands priced? Similiar to Boss, or cheaper? How do they hold up? Boss seems to be the only one for sale around here... must be a reason.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

How much were those wings? Are they easy to put on and off? I like that idea.