1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which blade style throws snow best at slow speed

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by sqdqo, Mar 14, 2013.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Which blade style best throws snow up and away at slower speeds? I want to mount a blade on my 140hp tractor that will lift and throw the snow best at 15mph. My tractor won't travel any faster than that under a load. The blade I have now is a 9' straight blade with a curl at the edge. This blade style does a good job of keeping snow from blowing over the top of blade reducing visibily but it also won't let the snow throw up and off of the blade. Hence the snow banks fill the road in too quickly narrowing down the roadway considerably. Any experienced opinion is welcome.
  2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well at slower speeds your not really going to THROW the snow back. You need a little speed to actually throw it, BUT you can roll it back at slow speeds. For this a one way plow works very well. We have a 12' Tenco one way for on our front end loader for widening roads, It works very well. I don't care for Tenco myself but it gives you an idea of what to look for. I believe Monroe also makes a one way blade.
    What your looking for is the blade is smaller on the left and gets bigger with more of a curl on top as it goes to the right.
    They also make a power angle plow that is shaped similar, I'm not sure what the correct name for them is, we always refered to them as a gullwing because the top of the plow sort of resembles the arch of a pair of wings. It's lower with a point in the center then curls up and out towards each side.
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm sorry I can't add a link, but if you go back to the page where you posted this question and scroll down a couple of posts, look for the one listed "curb to curb". on the first post click on the link for the youtube video and watch that. The first truck that comes through has a one way plow on the front. This will also give you a better idea of how it will work in a slower speed condition.
  4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

go to the equipment page and look for the DOT thread...plenty of good examples
    of what to look for
  5. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Gull Wing plow

I think this is what geer hed was referring too. Shows both kinds of plows.
  6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Speed is the only thing that throws snow up and over and out.