1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which BF Goodrich's are better for me

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, May 12, 2010.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I need to replace my crappy Pep Boys Dakota Definity tires, I've been looking around and doing some camparing and I think I'm going to go with BF Goodrich tires. I can't decide if I should go with the BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A or the BF Goodrich Commercial Traction T/A. The all terrain's are $177 each and got slightly lower reviews than the Commercial Traction. The commercial traction are only $145 each but don't have as nice a look to them. Anyone have any experience with these tires? I've seen a lot of the All-terrains around and I'm leaning towards them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=All-Terrain+T/A+KO&partnum=475SR6ATAKORWLV2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Commercial+T/A+Traction&partnum=475QR6COMMTAT

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't like the look of either one for plowing. What ever you do ask for the good guy price on them ,don't pay fullprice!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

What doesn't look right? I was reading the reviews and that both scored 8 or 9 out of ten for snow performance.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Commercials are excellent in the snow. The ATs are very popular around here. I plowed with them last year, never again.

Are you looking for an all year tire, or just for plowing.

5. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

I run bfg ta ko's, and love them. never will plow with anything different!

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I'm looking for an all year tire, and I was hoping to spend around $700 for the rubber. I have someone that will balance and align them cheap. Both of these tires are right in my price range.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd probably take the ATs for all year. But I would also look at Michelins LTX or whatever their AT is.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you're thinking about the AT's I'll suggest these Treadwright Warden AT's. Yes they're retreads but the company has an excellent reputation, they're dirt cheap compared to the BFG's and I've got about 10,000 miles on mine with no abnormal wear or problems.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I to am running wardens from tradwright...great tire, put them on before last season, and now put about 75 miles a day on them, no wear showing. I wish they made them smaller for my explorer as well, but no such luck!

10. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

AT/KO all the way

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I just took a closer look at those Warden AT's. They look good. Very very vert tempting. At that price afford to throw in some nice new wheels:nod: Anybody else have an opinion on them? Could one of you guys who have them maybe post a pic of them with some miles on them?

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Here's when they were new
    [​IMG]

after about 10k
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I thought re-treads were illegal on passenger vehicles? IDK if I'd be trusting them on a truck loaded down and going 75MPH down the highway...

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

legal here on all axles. I've had re-treads of trucks for 6 years now. Love the treadwrights. My tires with just under 10k on the look the same as above.

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well it looks like l'm getting Warden AT's

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Retreads are perfectly legal and many studies have been done showing they are no more likely to fail than a new tire. Poor maintenance and overloading are the leading causes of tire failures whether new or retreaded.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Retreads are legal on school buses even, drive tires only.

Those Wardens look identical to the BFG ATs. They even use the BFG casing. That's a super tough casing, three plies.

18. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Retreads are ok in my opinion for the rears But I would never ever run Retreads on the steers it there was to be much highway driving with good maintance or not and any honest tire dealer / installer would prolly tell you the same always put new good rubber on the front

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I got so tired of sliding around on my A/Ts I ripped them off with 80% of the tread left and put bridgestone revo 2s on. Major improvment a little more money but the first saved ditch trip will pay the difference.

20. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Some light reading

University of Michigan Blowout Resistant Tire Study

NHTSA Commercial Medium Tire Debris Study