1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Battery for Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ToyTruck, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ToyTruck

ToyTruck Junior Member

What is the best type of battery for having a little more power in reserve to operate plow?
    I have an 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and the orig. factory battery is finally going.

It was almost enough juice for me to plow with my little curtis homepro plow without thinking about it too much, but if I did a lot of up and down without enough driving, the radio would go quiet, etc. so I knew I had drawn the power down too far.

I just need a little more, so what would be the best type of battery to replace this one with? thanks for any ideas...
  2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Measure the size of your battery compartment and go to auto parts shop. Buy the battery with the largest RESERVE CAPACITY that will physically fit into the space.

Reserve capacity is the number that determines for how LONG the battery will run things. Current (AMPs) is only the measure of how HARD it will crank, quite possibly for a very short time. Plow pumps do NOT require near as high a current as your starter motor, so just make sure that the current the new battery supplies is at least as big as factory.
  3. ToyTruck

ToyTruck Junior Member

Thanks Jason, that's a big help. I had looked at autozone website, for this truck they listed batteries from 75 - 130 minutes reserve. I can dig a little deeper too and see if there are ones with more reserve that would fit.

This is the best on that list, price $ 110

"Duralast Gold"
    Part Number: 24F-DLG
    Warranty: 8 YR
    Notes: *** 750 cold cranking Amps (935 cranking Amps) *** 130 reserve minutes