1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Axles do I have

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PlowMan03, Dec 25, 2006.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg cab short bed, can anyone tell me what I have for axles in my truck? My rear axle is a 12 bolt my front axle is a 10 bolt, here is a pic of the front axle:
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think they are.
    Thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

They list them on the inside of your hood. Small sticker on left side on hood. Or in your glove box.

Oh one other thing. I wish we had snow. 50 degrees on Christmas!!!! Damm Elnino

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I've looked in the glove box and there is no sticker there saying what the axles are. But I haven't looked under the hood either guess I'll have to do that tomorrow. I agree with you on the snow, just wait we will have our share of it before the winter is over.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plowman, your truck will have a Dana 44 front axle and a Chysler corprate 9.25 rear end. If you want to know the ratio, there will be a tag on the front diff cover with the ratio stamped on it.

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks B&B,
    I think I already know the gear ratio which is 3:55 thats what it says on the rear axle anyway. I think this summer I might bump up the 3:55's up to 4:11's not sure yet. If you think that changing out the gears is a bad idea let me know before hand. The reason why I want to change out the gear ratio is because with the 33's on the truck seems kinda dogish and with the 4:11's it will help it out quite a bit from what I have read, plus the 4:11's will improve my gas mileage.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 4.11's would be a very good choice for running 33's. It'll wake the truck up considerably.

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thats what I thought that the 4:11's would do. Looks like that will be my project for next summer, also another thing that will wake the truck up considerably is a K&N FIPK 11 more horsepower and up 10% better gas mileage :D :yow!: :cool:

8. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Possibly,,,I would get a costume tune first though with the gear change :)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know what a "costume tune" is (and I don't want to know LOL! :D ) but yea, with a gear change I'd highly recommend getting a CUSTOM tuned PCM program done. That will really wake'er up.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

If you are only going to run a 33" tire I do not think I would spend the money on a gear change. If you are thinking a larger tire then maybe I would consider it.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plowman,what size tire did your truck come with stock? 265's?

12. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

It came with 245/75/16 stock, right now I have 285/75/16 which equals out to a 33x11.5

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

So you have dropped your ratio to 3.29 with the larger tires. Yep your truck is a gutless wonder.

14. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i ahve 35`s on my truck and it is a dog it dont have enough power to pull a greased hair out of a cats behind. iam going to upgrade to 456 ratio next week since i put those 35`s on my gas mileage has gone down to about 275 mile to a tank of gas wich i have a 28 gallon tank.payup kinda sucks bad but it will get better soon.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, I'd still recommend going with the 4.10's then.To end up with the same overall gearing as you had with the stock tire's and 3.55's you'd need to go to a 3.90 gear (3.84 to be exact) BUT I'd still bump it up to 4.11. That little bit of extra gearing between the 3.90's and the 4.11's will help to offset the extra weight of the larger tire's. Over gearing isn't really a problem in a truck with an overdrive transmission.

16. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Holy Crap!

I have a 13 or 14 gallon tank, and I can get at least 300 being hard on the pedal!

17. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

The only time I take my truck out of OD is when I am going up a hill, or usually I give it a little extra gas and it will get going at 2500 RPM with no problems but I am still gonna go ahead with the 411's no matter what.

275 miles to a tank I only get 230-240 with mine but I drive 25 miles a day in each direction to work with hills.