1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which ATV & which plow?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by lagwagon, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

I am in Ontario (Canada). New to ATV snow plowing. I have narrowed down to a few ATV's.

2007 Honda Rancher 400 AT $5895 CDN
    - auto or elec. shift trans.
    - push button 4x4
    - green in colour
    - 220 miles
    No idea which plow to get

2006 Honda Foreman 500 ES $5995 CDN
    - electric shift
    - push button 4x4
    - green in colour
    - 281 miles
    No idea which plow to get

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 Touring $7000 CDN
    100 miles with 1st oil change done.
    Excellent cond.
    2500lb winch included
    Then purchase a Polaris Glacier II Razor Plow 60" system or ?

I will be plowing a few 30 to 80 feet driveways and possibly one large (fits about 14 cars) office parking lot.

Any feedback and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

id go foreman, rancher, then if those arent what you want id look for a red honda lol, moose plow would work imo

3. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

I would go with the polaris 500 or look and see if you can get a 700... that would be the best thing to do!

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Whatever you get, consider a power angle for it. I used my Yamaha Grizzly 660 for the first time plowing yesterday and I had to change the angle way to many times. If you can afford it, get a Moose plow set up for whatever atv you decide on and don't forget the power angle. :)

I'm ordering a Power Pivot from Warn being I bought a Warn plow.

5. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

My power angles.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/skywagon12/IMG_0677.jpg

6. ALC-GregH

from pa

I like that style power angle but their pricey.

7. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

It is only $$$, And when making money with cabs on all vehicals you cannot be climbing in and out adjusting blade angle, imagine doing that on your pickup plow lol!!!! All my power angles are running on their 5th season of commercial plowing without a single failure.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

FWIW, Warn has had a lot of problems with its power Pivot system.
    ;);)

9. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I say the Foreman if your going to be doing a few drives and a small lot with it.

How much is your snow fall per Push? 10 stroms at 4" and then 3 at 10" or is it more like 7 at 10" plus and then 4 at 2-3".
    for the bigger snow you'll want the county blade. but if you have a lot of little snow then the 60" stands out.
    Sidewalks at all?
    either a 50" County so you can roll the snow off the blade a long way or the 60" standard blade.

but I say the Foreman.
    are you buying this ATV to due work with it or have fun? the Foreman will out work the other and is OK in the Fun part the.
    Rancher is more Fun on the trails but wont have the grunt and push that the Foreman bring.

Polaris Touring kinda say's it all right there. only get this if you plan on driving around and Touring all the places you thought you wanted to plow snow at.
    I don' t know what the "Touring" means but if I was gonna guess I would think nice plush trial ride but not much for pounding that plowing snow can dish out to an ATV.

just my thoughts.
    Sublime out.

10. leroyz71

leroyz71 Junior Member

Get the Honda Foreman. You will not be dissappointed.

11. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

to be honest i have used all of them and I own all polaris now and to me they are the best machine of any. but with the 3 you have listed definatly go with the polaris sportsman lots of power and very reliable.

12. ALC-GregH

from pa

do you have anything to back that statement up? I've haven't heard of any.

13. ALC-GregH

from pa

Well it doesn't really matter at this point, I found a good deal on a Power Pivot on e-gay.

14. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

foreman hands down with moose plow bulletproof setup. the rancher 400 is not really a workhorse the 350 can handle being abused more than the 400

15. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I can list at least 10 more posts like this.:D

-04-2008, 10:18 AM
    Mad Mex
    Member My Rhino: 2008 700 Camo

Something about Eagle plows (same w/ Tusk I reckon) is that he uses a higher grade of steel, so it may be lighter, but as strong.
    I have one on the way too (72"). A major Warn dealer (and repair center) recommended I buy Eagle. He said stay away from Warn Side x Side plows for now. They are redesigning them. The ones they have now are crap.. This was from a Warn dealer who doesn't even sell Eagle! He did try to sell me a Warn winch though. he says they are the kind. He also said for ATV's Warn plows were great.

16. ALC-GregH

from pa

I guess I'm a test dumbie then. I already ordered it. I'll let you know (if it snows again) how it does. I talked to a customer service guy at Warn today and he said they didn't have but a very few warranty claims on the Power Pivot. I realize that he "could" be blow smoke but we actually talked for almost an hour! LOL I wanted to know every little problem with it and he never did mention any issues.

Personally, I think Warn is a cheaper alternative that does a good job for what you pay for. I have less then $900 in the whole package.

17. ALC-GregH

from pa

He also said for ATV's Warn plows were great. This sums it up. :)

18. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I almost purchased one for a project I was doing and did a lot of research, the biggest complaint was not the pivot (but had a couple complaints of motor frying up) but was the quality of the metal used in the plows, ripping the actual blades amd welds loose, don't know we would go with Eagle or Moose myself. I have 3 power pivots at $150 per unit and going on the 5th season without a single problem, pretty good I would say And my equiptment cannot be laid up as it is $$$$ if they are. just my .02 cents and HO.:D:D:D.

19. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I checked out the Foreman, and there is no way it only had 272 miles on it. Just didn't get a good feeling about it.

I talked to a few people about EFI vs. (still proven) carburetor-based engines. The used Sportsman 500 Touring EFI sold. So, I went to a local dealer gave me a great deal on an '09 Sportsman 500 HO with the 2,500 lb winch, Glacier II 60" Razor plow.

I hope it is a tank!

20. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

they are animals be thankfull you have that winch because if you do get it stuck your going to need it they are beasts. I am sure you will like it they are comfortable and tons of power. let me know when you get it and how you like it.