1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which aftermarket backup camera ...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ghlkal, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

... should I add to my 2002 Silverado 1500?

I think I'd rather go wireless than running a wire.

For those who have added a backup camera, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

TIA

Thumbs Up

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just bought a yada with 5" screen from Costco,think it was 120$ Its wireless.Install easy, just splice into backup light,it mounts to the top of license plate with double backed tape,plug into cig lighter,suction cup windshield mount.Has a long wire for camera so if you want you can also hook it up to a switch in cab if wanted or to sander power.It has brightness,contrast and 10 position backup lane lines that you can adjust to your liking. Its ok,not as nice as my 7" double camera system.I'm testing it out ,planning on hooking up to my sanders to see spread and when I'm low on salt. http://rear-view-cameras-review.toptenreviews.com/yada-digital-wireless-backup-camera-review.html I also have this one but not wireless though, better picture but lot more complicated install http://www.costco.com/1-Backup-Came...een-by-Rear-View-Safety.product.11526596.html

3. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Thanks. I read good reviews of the Yada, except some complain about fogging and moisture intrusion. Obviously, this wouldn't work well when plowing!

Any problems with moisture in the Yada camera?

4. spikes_mn

spikes_mn Junior Member

Are you wanting to use the back up camera for plowing or just to have? When plowing it's best to do the old fashioned way and turn around so you don't miss anything or anyone in your field of vision. People can come out of no where and think they can buzz past you real quick.

The other thing is when you drive down the road or from backing up while plowing the back of your truck is going to be plastered with snow build up. You will constantly be getting out to wipe it off so no amount of fog will be of any concern. I'd save your money and get yourself something nice :)

Cameras are nice for parking lots and hooking up a trailer for the rookies. Just an opinion to try and help.

5. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

Wireless camera's can get interference from Cell phones. I've used cheap wired ebay cameras to a Double Din head unit and had no problems, as well as ebay wired camera to rearview mirror with screen. Good night quality and day quality.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Tundra came stock with a back up camera and it works great except when it's snowing. The lens gets covered in snow every time.

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

8. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

A heated backup camera ... that would work ... but $300 is a little pricey :p

I was planning on using it for plowing. I agree that it is no substitute for looking behind you, but I only plow my own land. There are few spots that I need to back into in order to push snow forward and a backup camera would be nice, especially if it had night vision.

9. TLK380

TLK380 Member

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

subscribed for info