1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which 454 Crate engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TLS, Sep 13, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1990 K3500 SRW 7.4 TH-400 3.73:1 extended cab pickup. It is clocking over 130K+ hard miles. It doesn't smoke or use oil. Just leaks it a lot(rear main seal). Runs O.K.. But I am getting (oil?) contaminated antifreeze and mysteriously disapearing antifreeze levels??! Already blew radiator tanks apart once (compression in cooling system? Maybe a Head Gasket?) had radiator repaired and got a new cap. I dont see any bubbles in coolant at idle.

Question is.... What crate engine options are there for my application. Mark IV, V, VI ? 454 or 502? I would like to somehow not use the OEM TBI, and go to something more efficient. I think GM offers an engine with a MPFI system already on it (big $$$). I am just looking for a clean start to put another 12+ reliable years into this truck. Does anybody know any part #'s, as the GM Goodwrench website is as useless as pushing a rope!

I think a totally new engine is the way to go here, as just pulling heads and putting new main bearings/seal would almost require pulling it out anyway (4x4 front dif). I could probably spend $2000 in just rebuilding this one, but I would still be stuck with the 2 piece rear main seal (drip). Not to mention extra time involved with machine shop, etc.

Any helpful insite would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

If it were mine, Id pull the heads first and do head gaskets. Why dump a ton of $$$ into a truck where the cab will be rotted away in a few years (if it hasnt started yet).

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well... It's NOT your truck! Just kidding! No rust, needs a headliner and the drivers side seat is starting to wear. Paint is Imron, flawless and shiney. I just cant justify $40K to replace it! Also, if I do the heads, how far do I go? Cam/lifters, timing chain, then that still doesn't solve the rear main seal and oil pump, etc, etc. Just afraid I'll be opening a can of worms with a rebuild, not to mention down time. I can make the entire engine swap happen over a weekend.

4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You could either short or long block the engine from Jasper and still have the swap done in a weekend if you know someone in a machine shop to get your heads in and out in a day or so.

Bruce

5. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Hey TLS:

Here's a link with the part number you asked for, as well as a description of the parts used in the assembly.

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine12.htm

Start saving those pennies and nickles!

DJS

6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Edlebrock makes multipoint fuelinjection kit for the engine you're talking about. It's in a Summit Racing catalog that's about 10 months old for $1,029.95 + about $100 for a fuelpump. It comes with just about everything to make the swap from TBI to Multipoint on an 87-95 7.4L engine.
    Casey