1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which 3/4 ton.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stuffdeer, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Hey everyone.

Some recent things have come up, that allow me to keep the S-10 when I look into buying another truck. So with that being said, I'm looking for a late ninty's 3/4.

Here's the list I have come up with.

1995-1997 F-250
    Plenty of power.
    Cons- Heard problems with this particular front end?

1996-1999 GMC/Chevy 2500
    Plenty of power again.
    Could match the current color of my truck
    I've heard of people talking about transmisson failures on this truck

1996-1999 Dodge 2500
    Looks great.
    Great power
    Cons- I heard the trannies in the 1500's were garbage, wondering if they were the same for 2500's.

Please help. I have no problem buying any of the big three. I have no particular choice.
  2. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you are looking for a pre-99 Ford, look for an F350. The 250 and 350 are basically the same except the 350 has a Dana 60 solid axle thats rugged, reliable and easy to rebuild.
    The F250s have a dana 50 TTB (twin traction beam) setup that is leaf-sprung but independant still and has numerous rubber bushings that wear out over time and need replacing. My last truck was a 1995 F250 diesel and despite rebuilding everything in the front end, I couldn't get the play out of the steering. It was a rugged truck and all, but I sure love the solid axle in my superduty much better.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

All three have some mechanical problems of some sort. Axles,bearings,trans,engine, etc. Pick the one that you like looking at.
  4. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

HEh, Thats the first I've heard that. Thanks for being honest!
  5. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

True, I'd try to find a chevy guy and a dodge guy that will give you "honest" opinions on each kind of truck. Its hard to find someone to give you pros and cons because everyone likes they're own kind of truck. I have owned numerous Fords and I like them. Most any 94-97 3/4 or 1 ton ford is gonna be plenty rugged in the drivetrain department but you just have to do your homework before picking a perticular engine/tranny combo.

My '95 was a diesel with a standard shift and that truck saw hell on a regular basis and never gave me any out of the ordinary trouble.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Dodge - If you are talking cummins diesel you wont go wrong with the engine. Plenty of power, front end heavy and steering problems, but there are lots of fixes. Cant speak much for gassers. Lukes link for the steering problems. Transmission - thats a $2000 rebuild... it could happen to any truck. Infact my last dodge I bought with a bad tranny and it was good cause I paid to have it rebuilt and I got the truck cheaper because of that and also I have taken care of it since and been the only driver.

Who will service it and if you have a mechanic check it out with him.
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have heard alot of people like that body style/engine(5.7) of those chevys/Gmcs, I heard they make excellent work trucks. just my 2cents
  8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Look upward

When the owner of our company started out, he decided that if most of the giants in this industry, construction, etc... use Chev 2500s -then their accountants have determined that it is a cost effective choice! Now up to about 15. Expext a tranny at about 100k with the late 90's models.
  9. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

curiousity, are they all gas? Yeah I'm partial to chevy's, but I'd probably either pick a chevy 2500 or maybe if you find one a F350, both are good choices in my book
  10. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yep....you are buying a work truck. it will get some bumps and bruises and you will need to fix or replace parts. get what you like
    in my opionion if anything they are under powered compared to the other two choices but i also think the other two are over powered(if we are talking about V8's)! dont get me wrong chevys have plenty of power ive put chevys through hell and back and they always want more. no they cant out pull a tractor or jump a canyon:rolleyes: but they will work hard and love every second

any of the three choices wil be fine
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge, but get a manual trans

STRONGARM Senior Member

My dodge gas 360 has almost 185,000 kms- front end problems but no trans problem,plenty of pwr

chev 2500hd- 6.0l-tie rod ends are the only real prob, and it eats gas - other than that reg maint

dodge diesel- best motor, most power, best mileage, best looking-worst trans and front end-that all being said this would be my choice we work it harder than any truck should be worked and it has 210,000kms

ford 250 diesel-good truck so far only 60,000 kms- not as much power as the dodge and not as comfortable to drive

sorry to go on just my 2 cents

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

As long as it is cheep and dependable. They all have good and bad points, if it's going to push snow expect a trans and front end work. The secret is not to keep a plow truck for more than a season. Salt calcium snow and wear and tear add up quickly on a unit.

Stay with the one tons which have less issues in time, although more fuel.

15. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I love my truck, bought it last year. Vortec 350, 4L80 trans is a beast. I have never heard that these trans are troublesome. It is a turbo 400 with an overdrive added, and electronic controlled torque converter. The trans is great for towing. I am going to have a shift kit installed soon, though. As for power, I seem to have plenty for assisting stuck vehicles. Two school buses, not not very stuck, but very heavy. I pulled a guy up off the banking of the road the other night. Close to a 30 degree banking, he was down over about 15 feet. I told him to wait for a wrecker to avoid damage from the trees. He said he didn't care, just get him out. I think he had some stuff in the truck........No problem, didn't even use low range. when choosing a truck, keep your mechanic in mind. My wrenching days are pretty much over for me. I have a great garage, big time chevy guys. That's probably all I'll buy for quite a while.
  16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

He said it the best!!
  17. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I am a fan of chevy and love the 5.7, however I will say our 97 chevy 1/2 ton has been through 3 trans. We have also had several front end problems but it is just the wear and tare from the plow and the farm. Unless the truck has been well taken care of just plan on replacing ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, trans, and what not on trucks of that age. As for comfort, I am a tall person and I think the fords have very little leg room in those models the chevys and dodges have quite a bit of room in the cab.