1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SHI78, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SHI78

SHI78 Junior Member

I'm looking to set myself up with a 1500 reg cab Sb for this season. I'm curious to know if there are many differences between the 90's model 1500 and the newer ones that may help or hurt my plowing ability. Is there an ideal model year for the 1500 to use for plowing? Thanks

2. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I personally would not plow with any 1500 but if you have to good luck! Your gonna break stuff!

3. SHI78

SHI78 Junior Member

I don't do commercial lots. Driveways only for me.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

If you're only doing driveways, get a Jeep. They are the undisputed kings of driveways, and probably more durable than "most" 1500's. If you want a pickup, and again, only doing driveways, get a Tundra.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It all depends on how big the driveways are you are plowing. The average driveway in my area is a lot bigger than a lot of driveways in other areas. Are you in a suburb or a rural area?

6. SHI78

SHI78 Junior Member

Suburb. The driveways tend to be 75' up to 120' I would guess. I have been seeing 1500s that range from 1993 to 2008 with similar mileage and wear but not much price difference.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I love my Tundra and it works great for the driveways I do. My own driveway is about 400' long with a parking area and I kept it open without a problem all last Winter and we had well above average snow fall here in Maine. Like any 1/2 ton it wouldn't be great for a big parking area since you can't run a big V plow like you could with a 3/4 ton.

8. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I gotta be honest, I have a haft ton with a plow, and I'm still keeping it (as a daily driver and back-up) even though I bought a new 3/4 ton. I know a lot of guys plow with half tons myself included. If you don't have a truck and need one, I'd highly recommend getting a 3/4 ton.

I have a Fisher 7.5' SD Plow on my '07 half ton. I just turned 60K. I take it easy when driving and especially when plowing, never bang gears or any of that. I still blew my front diff last year.

It's a long story, basically I backed off a ledge with my left rear tire a bit. I put it in 4 low and I was foot braking it a little to make sure the rear LSD stayed engaged and the front left tire was getting really good traction, between that and me foot braking it.....it broke! Nothing was usable, had to replace the whole front diff. It was nasty, looked like a rearend from a dragster that blew when they let go of the tranny brake.

Just something to think about.

Good luck, NYH1.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

get a 3/4 ton.