1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheres the snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by psdiesel24, Dec 28, 2003.

1. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

I live about 40 miles out side of chicago and we have still yet to recieve a plowable snow. I just looked at the forcast and its got high of 45 and rain. Is it ever going to snow. We looked back in our records of the last couple of years and Dec. was when we got the most snow and here it is almost over what is going on.:( :gunsfiring:

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The weather in Ohio is the same, however if I look at the 15 day forcast, in about 12 days it is suppose to start getting cold, however there is no precipitation called for during the cold period. I'm with you, is it ever going to snow. We have had 1 event and 1 salting event, so I guess that is more than you have had.

3. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

We have a had a couple of saltling events but nothing like we should i think we should be getting. Thats what the weather says for here sappose to get cold but no precip. i don't no maybe i need to move or somthing.

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. But about the time you moved there would be a big dump where you moved from.

5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We are on contracts here so having no snow is a blessing, except for the guys looking for hours of work and pay.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well unfortunatly in Central Ohio, it's hard to say how much snow we could get in a season. Prior to last year, the 2 or 3 years before that we only plowed maybe 2 to 3 times per year. I only have one customer on a pay whether it snows or not contract. Everyone else wants to pay per event. If I lived in a place that had more snow or at least you could go back a few years and figure out how many events you average per season, that would be the way to go. About the only thing that you can safely figure out here, is how many mowings per season you will have and its pretty close every year. We do contracts on mowing that way and it works out pretty good. I might get 1 free mowing per year or I might lose 1 mowing per year, and at the right time of year you can adjust for that.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mother Nature needs to get laid, although I've had 4 plowable snowfalls this season so far.:D

8. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

im with you psdiesel24. I live right outside of chicago and havent got to plow once. I got to salt a cupple times too but that isnt the real fun. I need to make some money!

9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Indy feels the pain aswell.... :realmad: Farmers almanac says 3 big storms in January 2004....well::::: maybe :eek:

10. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

I'm with you guys! One good push and another were I pushed ice/snow/water mix. Would have loved to salt it, but don't have a salt spreader. I'll have one next though! Normally for us, we have pushed about three times by now.

11. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

Last year I think I plowed 4-5 times already. I heard someone on this board plowed 15-20 time already.:eek: I havent got to plow once. This weather........................

12. Synergyracing

Synergyracing Member
    from Indiana

I live in South Bend, IN and I have plowed 3 separate occassions due to lake effect. I am ready for it. Thought abou tchanging jobs though.....maybe a weatherman. That is just about the only job you can be wrong at and still have it. Just recently they made a forecast for basically 10 -16 inches within a 2 day period......no one is our region got anything more than a dusting.......way to go!

13. Hey Boss,
    When have you got to plow 4 times this year? I have only had 2 plowable events and the 2 that I had were very iffy and most didnt even want it done. What kind of stuff do you plow, I do mostly driveways and live in Rapids City. Thanks a lot.
    Blake Enloe

14. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

All of the snow has been on the Eastern coast. I am with you guys, lets have some good snow already! :nod:

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

We in Nova Scotia, Canada, have had two 4" storms turning quickly to rain 4 weeks ago and nothing since. Seems there is no snow anywhere across mid to east north america. Don't despair. We pay Mother nature now or pay her later. ( with interest)

Long range forecast is for end to end storms for NE from mid Jan. till spring.

16. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Where did you find a long range forcast like that. I use uswx, accuweather, noaa, weather channel and Aol but I can't get anything beyond 14 days. I like the sounds of that forcast even if it doesn't happen, it gives you somthing to look forward to.

17. Bolts Indus.

On the weather channel at least in canada their is a winter outlook category. It also goes region by region. Just go to extended forecast and then below that. Maybe its not there every day but I have seen this prediction once before somewhere else.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  18. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks Bolt Indus, It's not on there now, however I will look for it in the future.

19. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Hey Bolts,

We have had 3 events here. All 10-12" of snow. Glad we weren't in Moncton for their 3 feet of snow in a week. Too much of a good thing at once.

20. Bolts Indus.

Snow White

Did you get a PM from me a minute ago? Don't know if it is working. Wanted to know where in N.S. you live?