1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where's the most Profit?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FPM-Inc., Oct 6, 2006.

1. FPM-Inc.

FPM-Inc. Junior Member

My company is new to the snowplowing business so I have a question.
    What is the most profitable type of plowing and why?
    Please no generic answers like "it depends".
    Thanks,
    :)
    Brad

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I do both commercial and resindential and I think that is the best combo. My residential trucks make three times the money per hour then the commercials. However the commercials are guranteed monthly money that we depend on for payroll, expenses and living.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

IMO sidewalks are the most profit.... only have to invest $100 in 5-10 shovels where in commercial lots you'll have $50k-250k in equiptment being used easy. you can make $100 per hour scooping walks or you can make $100 per hour driving a truck. make the same money, pay the same wages, only difference is the investment. when were out pushing snow we've got $175k in equiptment being used, if i were to do it again i just do walks.

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Salt on zero tolerance accounts payup

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

He did ask for the most profitable PLOWING. Shoveling and Salting are related to snow and ice control but are not plowing.

I would agree though that both are profitable.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, it depends is the correct answer.

Commercial if you are set up for it properly. Commercial you only have maybe 1/10th of the people to deal with, paperwork, overhead, etc.

Residential if you have a nice tight route. With residential, you are going to have to deal with a lot more people per dollar than commercial.

Sidewalks if you can price them for shoveling and then find a more efficient way of clearing them.

Salting if you can use bulk salt.

In the long run, salting is the most profitable, but it can be rather expensive to become equipped to do it right.

8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

As mentioned salt.

9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would say sleeping and not plowing...lol jk i would say commercial driveways are to much bull ****....u missed that, let me move my car, can u get closer to the gerage....its just bull ****...do commercial u dont have home owners comming out every 5mins asking for something....sub also b.c ur there soemone tells u what to do and ur goood to go...thats what i did subed for a guy, did his driveway list for him last year only b.c he got in a jam, told him if he wanted me back i want to be back with my old guys on commercail

10. FPM-Inc.

FPM-Inc. Junior Member

Thanks for all the input!

Thanks for all the input!
    :salute:
    Respectfully,
    Brad,
    Fortress Property Management Inc.