1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where's the best place to buy salt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westernmdlawn, Dec 12, 2003.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Hey Guys (and gals), I'm thinking of buying a salt spreader for my tailgate so that I can do some more commercialized plowing. Just a couple of salt related questions. What kind of de-icer should I use? I think I've heard that sometimes people mix sand and salt, if I can do that, what are the ratios? Also, when you guys refer to "sand" in your posts, are you talking about regular old sand sand like I used to have in my sandbox last year where my Tonka plow trucks get parked in the summer? Does sand melt the snow, or just provide increased traction? Also, Is any old salt ok to use? And finally, the biggest question: Where is it economical to buy salt. I suppose it is cheaper to buy in bulk right? Where do I get some? Thanks in advance and hope everyone is doing well.

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Try doing a search, it's been discussed a lot. In a nutshell, sand doesnt melt snow, it's used for traction. Salt is added to the sand to prevent it from freezing. Most guys don't use sand or sand/salt mix. Straight salt is the wave of the future. Sand makes a mess in the parking lot. Yes, it's regular sand box sand. The cheaper tailgate spreaders are single stage and sand or sand/salt mix won't flow thru them. You have to use dry bagged salt. 2 stage tailgate spreaders will flow sand/salt, even if it's wet and clumpy, but they are more expensive. MAGic salt is even better, its rock salt coated with a mix of magnesium chloride and brewery or distillers condensed solubles. (tastes great, less filling) this stuff makes the salt work better, needs less product, and melts down to a lower temperature.