1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where's the beef?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by John DiMartino, Apr 3, 2003.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

This is a shot of the current big 3 's diesel connecting rods. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Its clear that the Cummins is overbuilt and will have the longest life,and that Ford and Chevy still believe light duty diesels are better than medium duty ones for the HD pickups. The narrow beam of the 6.0 PSD's rod is very thin. Highly modified street driven Cummins/Dodges have been putting down in excess of 750 hp/1500 ft lbs of torque at or below 2000RPM,for years now,and none have had any bottom end failures, or even high wear rates.It doesnt look like we can hurt these motors unless we literally melt them down from excess EGTS,or neglect. http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/attachments/rodcomp.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

John, I'm not questioning you, jut the integrity of the photo. IT looks almost as if the cummins rod is closer to the camera than the ford and Gm rods.....

Are the crank journals that much larger on the cummins as well?

3. John DiMartino

Its not my picture,but i notice the same thing. These is an old pic somewhere of the 7.3 PSD,the 6.2/6/5 GM and the Cummins,and the rods were all hung upo,and it was the same deal,the Cummins rod is easly twice the size.Ill try to dig that one up.

4. John DiMartino

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I would think that the crank for a I-6 would need to be stronger, but thats rediculous, I can't beleive that Isuzu and GM would do that.

Oh, wait,

yes I can.....:realmad:

It looks like the Gm and the Cummins have similar rod size, but just different pin and crank diameters... very interesting.

6. John DiMartino

Of course an inline 6 will have more load on each cyl than a V8,but the size difference is way beyond that difference.

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Since GM and Ford have no problems with the rods they use, your point is what?
    Give it time the 6.6 or the 6.0 will be at that leval. Remember how long it took to get that power from the 5.9.

8. John DiMartino

Joey,my only point is the size of the rods is just an idea of how overbuilt this engine is for use in a pickup. Gm,and Ford have had a lot more problems than Dodge with their diesels.The 6.6 and 6.0 PSD will never handle the power a Cummins 5.9 will,even if they can match the power,(highly unlikely),they will never match the torque,and the durablity not even be close.

9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Time will tell.

10. John DiMartino

Time will tell,LOL.:D

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

John I am not bashing the 5.9 as I love them, great motors but I do know that the 6.6 and the 6.0 will offer large HP numbers as well. The rod picture is usually shown on the TDR by someone that think it's Cummins or nothing. Bully Dog is claiming to unseat the Cummins from being the HP king with a 6.6. For it's 3rd year the 6.6 is putting out great numbers so it looks promising. I know they have a 200rwhp plug in box, not bad for a plug and play.

12. bobcatman

bobcatman Junior Member

John-From your posts I know you know way more about trucks than I do, but I would still like to give my 2 cents. I think people have to remember that these are pickup trucks designed at the max to tow something in the vicinity of 12,000 lbs. If a GM 6.5 or Ford 7.3 or 6.0 can give you 200-250,000 miles of good service pulling a trailer or pushing snow, then in my opinion it was a good truck. Who wants to hang onto a truck for a 1,000,000 miles? Even if the Cummins will last that long, the rest of the truck will have benn replaced 3 times over.