1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheres the 4wd??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NU-Plowr, Dec 12, 2004.

1. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

Hopped in the cab today to do some plowing, put the transfer case gear into 2H, no 4wd light..........hm, I try 4wd Lo, I hear the familiar clunk, but again, no 4wd light..............give it the gas, thinking, hey, could be the dash bulb or something...right? No dice, two back wheels just spin spin spin, no front end 4wd. She still drives fine, I was able to complete my accounts, took a bit longer......any ideas? Running a 2000 Dodge 2500 V10. Anyone else encounter this? :confused:

2. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

While I'm not certain on a 2000 model...but I think these trucks still use the vacuum disconnect for the 4wd. Might want to take a peek under the truck and see if you have popped off one or more of the vacuum lines that run from the transfercase to the front axle (I belive there are 2 lines?)

Again...I'm not familiar with the 2000 system, but Dodge's used the vacuum system in the past, and I think they still do.

purplebou

3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Make sure You Really have the Shift Pulled Back all the way when putting it in 4wd. Usually they take a second to come on. Sometimes You gotta Roll Forward or Reverse To kick it in

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I'm not sure on the 2000 but my buddy had a 94 and the vacum line would fall of.Best thing he did was buy a 04 ford :gunsfiring: Dodge

5. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

Thanks for your help guys...many of you were right near the mark with a "vaccum" issue. Vaccum motor was bad, they were unable to determine which vaccum was bad, so, they are also installing a new vaccum harnes, also needed to replace the 4wd switch........450.00 OTD at my local Dodge dealership..........just can't find a local mechanic I trust. I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again.

6. Stark_Enterprises

Hey My Buddy Had a Ford and the best thing he did with it was Totalling it By Having one of his Firestone Steeltex tires blow out and hit a tree. and used the insurance money and bought A Beautiful 03 Ram 3500 Diesel!
    :gunsfiring: FORD! :nono:

7. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

Well, I guess that last comment implies that HE at least survived the crash unlike many other Ford owners....Buying a Ford the second time would have been a "shame on him" :eek:

8. Stark_Enterprises

Yea It Actually Hit on the passenger side with no one eles in the truck. and he was wearing his seat belt so he walked away unharmed. But Pissed at his Truck.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All 94+ rams use CAD systems- the solinoid is easily damaged in snow banks and the vacuum hoses CAN come off easily but more importantly the vacuum solinoid which is the piece on the axle that actually moves the lockup to lock the front axle does break from time to time on all CAD systems. They can be replaced with manual cable control kits (about $200 from JC whitney) if you want to eliminate the vacuum parts.

Ford is having nothing but trouble with tieir '04+'05 Navstar engines and Allison Trannies.

My boss bought an 04 E350 van and has had tranny replaced 2X, tranny controller replaced ,blew up the turbo and Ford had to build one special in Detroit for him. Now, this van has JUST hit 6K miles on the odometer. Ford will be discontinueing the business relationship with IH over Navstar engines for late 05 and possible GM over the Allison's (My full time job is in the Auto industry)

Of the 15 15 vans with the same engine/tranny sold in the NE region 4 of them have had the same problems worst quality issues in decades from Ford (not that I expect much quality from Ford anyway....)

Pickups fare better in odds but only because of the larger numbers of them sold- still MAJOR problems.