1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where would I pile the snow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JeffNY, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Guy I spoke to said between Connector Street and the lot. Theres no way all the snow from the lot is fitting there. There is also telephone poles laying across that area if you can see that in the pic.
    I really don't see any other options besides losing parking spaces.

Which parking spaces should I suggest they lose? Bottom left, so the snow isn't pushing against the chain link fence?

Suggestions? (besides run)

[​IMG]

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Picture?

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i see one but ur tight on space

4. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

put the snow where he wants it and when it takes up to many stalls haul it out. call the power company and tell them to move the poles or they'll be digging them out of a snow bank.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i see one but ur tight on space.... mayeb the two top left spots

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

have you seen that location plowed in previous years?? Knowing the past really helps out with the present.

But the customer said to fill that connector area, it'll definetly make it quicker to plow, windrow from Franklin St to the left (truck moving from N/S from exchange to connector), the vast majority of your snow will end up in the bottom left corner, farthest from the door. Just pack the connector and fill the bottom left spaces, it gets too full they'll call and you'll be trucking it out of there if needed - just include trucking prices in bid.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Dont forget to walk across the street and bid the place on the corner of Elizabeth and Lake Front. Looks like a good account.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im sure they're all signed already

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I haven't seen how it was plowed before, he said "they just put it all on that 2-4' gap" can't see how thats possible though.

And the telephone poles, those are ghetto property markers. Not the telephone companies anymore.

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Just put it where they want it, and as it starts to come out, so be it. Start with the spots in the lower left as you said though, since those are farthest from the building.

11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

get some plow wings and push it all across connector

12. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Um, I think that might be ILLEGAL. It would be in my state.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

That thinking keeps alot of people from asking. It never hurts to ask and give out a business card.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I would push it the length of the bottom of the parking. That way you can lose some on the grass, and its easier to plow. Either way they would lose 4 parking stalls in the corner, or four in line. You will be able to stack more snow if you do it in line. JMO

15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

One, im sure it's illegal here, but im also sure I can do it with no problem. Except, that would be close to the RR tracks, im not going near em, I can just see them telling me 'it all needs to be moved'

IMAGE- im calling those places today just for kicks.

Thanks guys.

16. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

its only illegal to push across the road if you leave snow all over the road and messy. it needs to be clean when your done. i think your just going to have to fill up spaces in the bottom left.

17. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Where is that info comming from? Snow in my area has to be put on the lot it fell on, or it could be pushed across the street if the owner of the lot your clearing owns the ground across the street.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It is illegal to push snow across any street, regardless of how clean you leave the street.
    For several reasons.
    What if an emergency vehicle responding to a call comes by while you are pushing the snow across the street ,hits your snow and crashes?

Plowing across the street can also remove any salt that was on the road leaving a slick area.
    you created.
    or maybe not everyone is as good at cleaning up as you are.

Bottom line is it's illegal, it just is.........

P.S. As sima member you should know this and conduct your self in a professional manner at all times.
    Your a CSP right?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  19. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Illegal in my city to push accross the road.

Basically what I would do here is just ask the guy where he wants the snow. If he says what he told you, you just ask, "ok, and then where do you want it when that fills up?"

Thing is, I always make the customer tell me exactly what they want and then I do it. The price I give on a yard can change depending on where they want the snow. It can change the length of time you have to spend on a job. If he says, just pile it in the corner, then fine, if he says, push it down the road into an empty lot, that obviously takes more time so you need to know up front.

Then once winter gets on and their spot is full, you just call them and ask where they want it. If you are smart, you would have included a cost for removal in your original bid and now they say "well, we need all the spots, can you haul it out" you say sure, the price is already stated.

Bottom line is always let the customer make the decisions on where to put the snow - it is their snow, you are just getting paid to move it - not to run their business (or parking lot).

20. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I didn't submit the bid yet, but I'll go talk to them