1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where was the DOT when you needed them?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by grandview, Aug 21, 2010.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Look what ended up in my driveway this morning. My kids were outside when the trailer broke lose and wiped out a tree in my yard.If that tree wasn't there it would of ended up on my vans. Cops came and no tickets. They asked if anything was in the trailer that was dangerous and he said no. He said his chains were on and they must of came off ,if you look they are not going to pop off and he didn't even have the ball hitch pin in ,it's just hooked to the chain.

trailer in yard.jpg

trailer in yard2.jpg

tailer in yard3.jpg
  2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

what was he hauling it with? I like that the pin for the coupler is still hooked to the chains.
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

If that would have been you or I, we would have been issued a laundry basket full of tickets. :laughing:

4. grandview

See the Caddy in the first picture?
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You get all the excitement....glad everyone is ok...sorry 'boot your tree. Could've been much worse.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

thats insane!

those hooks aren't even hooks with spring clips.

so it just came completely off and didnt even damage the caddy?

good thing you werent out there spraying fluid film cause you would be sitting this comming season out. are they going to come back and help you replant a new tree?
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Don't you love yuppies that have a "big truck" to tow their toys with. They don't have a clue what they are doing. If that was one of my trucks, I would have been issued so many tickets that I would be out of business. Glad no one was hurt. God forbid one of the kids were in the area.

IIs it me or does it look like the driveway has some black burned spots on it? Was there a fire?
  8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I really like that tree
  9. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Notice the trailer jack isn't retracted all the way, and where are the placards for the nitrogen that was in the trailer?:realmad:
  10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

know any good landscapers?
  11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you're on to something here............................... :nod:

With all the FF GV sprays, it's run all the way down the driveway, and created an "oil slick" in the street in front of his house. I'd say he's lucky he didn't end up with any tickets.................... ;)

Seriously, only some bonehead could get away with traveling in such an unsafe fashion with a trailer. Kind of pizzes me off that I got an "at fault" on my record last summer for clipping a tree limb hanging out in the road last summer during a serious storm, and a bozo like this gets off with nada. :realmad:
  12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

What are the chances that both hooks came off at the same time? Glad your kids wasn't hurt.
  13. grandview

Those hooks were never on the caddy because if they were they would of be stretched out.
  14. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

there are spring clips on those chains, you can see the thinner wire that comes out from them, they were 100% not hooked on the caddy, **** like that just doesn't pop off
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It looks like the coupler is still in the closed/locked position. Do you think maybe he/she had the paw sitting on top of the ball instead of locked under it?

The chains were never attached. You can tell by the way they are still wrapped around the coupler. I know a couple lawyers that would have a field day with this had someone been injured. A good expert witness would have them settling after depositions/arbitration.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

My money is on the caddy having a 1 7/8 ball, and the trailer jack bottomed out on a good bump and popped it off... Could happen even if the tow vehicle had a 2" ball and the coupler was a little out of adjustment too... Either way, the chains were clearly not connected, and that idiot should have the book thrown at him for putting everyone's lives in danger. :realmad:
  17. grandview

No ticket or anything. Cop asked if everything is good and nobody hurt and he left then.
  18. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Apparently that cop needs to go back to school to learn how to do his job correctly!
  19. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

your tree was hurt!!!
  20. grandview

Yes it was. I reset it but half the root base was broken off. Guess I'll right up a estimate for a new tree and send it to him to replace it. I figure new tree and labor about 3,000.00!