1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to wire in 15A power wire

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by av84u, Nov 10, 2013.

1. av84u

av84u Junior Member

Hi All,

The wiring instructions for my 680LT explain they want you to connect the 15A fused power wire to a switched power source. I am installing a Blizzard 680LT on a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Where is the best place to tap into and how would you recommend doing it?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Any ign hot fused source. I.e. heater, etc.

3. av84u

av84u Junior Member

I understand this.... but I was wondering if there is a switched 12v connection I can access without being too invasive on the Jeeps original wiring.

I am an aircraft mechanic....airplanes have buss bars where a connection like this has easy access.

So you are suggesting I'll have to cut original vehicle wiring, the 12v heater wire, and splice into it?

Thanks.

4. dieselss

This is basic electrical. 12v signal wire, does not use excess pwr from the source.
    Either cut and splice into wiring
    OR get a fuse tap from auto store and piggyback off factory fuse box

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Find your fuse box, find a 20 or 30 amp fuse located in that fuse box that is HOT with ign ON. Buy a simple fuse tap that slides onto the leg of the fuse on the POWER SOURCE side of the fuse. Use a test light after removing the fuse to see which side has power. Then install a spade connector on the end of your wire and connect it to the tap. Install a 15a fuse holder as close to source as possible. Voila...done

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

DieselSS beat me. Slow fingers...

7. dieselss

Well you don't want to tap into your safety features. Abs, airbag, ecm, etc. Just fyi
    Ha. Gotcha !!

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Good point! I used the ign power fuse that was 50a.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. av84u

av84u Junior Member

This is all great info....awesome - a power tap for the fuses! Tthanks Guys!!!!

Scott

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Add a fuse, available at your local auto parts store. Plugs into original fuse location and allows you to piggy back a second fuse. Pannel is on passenger side kick pannel IIRC