1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to start on a driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kedz42, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kedz42

kedz42 Junior Member

Hi new to the business. I have 15 res driveways . My truck is a chevy 2005 1500 reg cab pickup with a snowway poly plow with down pressure. Do I start by the garage and pull the snow away from the doors using the down pressure? And do you try and push the snow away from the house to the street? Any help would be appreciated. Larry
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

depends on the driveway where you would pile snow, but you would generally push away from the street due to it being illegal in most areas to push the snow accrossed the road.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With a Chevy start at the street now if you had a ford Id say start at the garage. Of course with a Snow-Way you start at the garage with a Fisher you start in the turn around and Boss you start at the street. since you have a Chevy with a snow-way I'm clueless as to where to start:jester:

That is the only thing I can tell you from the info you gave me.
    Depends each driveway style is different.
    You didnt tell me the shape of the driveway. How can I give you relevant info?
    Generally its best to not drive over the snow before you plow it.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If the town plowed the street already plow the approach first and get the heavy stuff out of the way. Then pull up to the garage door hit the down pressure and back drag it out . Then push the snow off to the side.Or if there is room to plow up the driveway and off to the side do that. Then just back drag the remaining snow away from the garage and push it off to the side.
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I hear the downpressure is absolutely killer, but wouldn't it make sense to clear the bulk of the snow without packing it down first by driving over it? Obviously getting up to garage doors, we have to drive over SOME, but I say clear most of the drive & use downpressure to backdrag.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Pull up to garage, back drag snow a few feet farther than the length of your truck/plow. Turn around and back up to garage. Push snow to end of drive. Push snow onto the lawn on the corner of the end of the drive.
  7. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Just don't try back draging a 100 yard driveway.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Push as much as you can to the sides. Push it as FAR back as possible to leae room for snow towards the end of the season. Then bavkdrag and push that snow in the plies you already started.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

With down pressure why not just back drag it all? (if they are a "normal sized" driveway) You probably wouldn't even notice the difference vs. back dragging then backing out, then backing up the driveway and over the pile packing it down nicely the pushing it out to the street. You could save a TON of time by just back dragging then pushing it to the side. I wish Fisher would come out with a down pressure attatchment. But til' then I'll just keep my fat friend sitting on my plow when I'm back dragging.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I start at the street end of the drive and push all the way to the far end and back as far as possible to leave room for the next storm. I then backdrag from the garage to the cleaned area put the plow in scoop and push that snow to the end. with that way I drive over as little fresh snow as possible.

Did I mention that my "average drive" is 120 ft "L" shaped drive with a 2 car garage.
  11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

thats the way i do it
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most of our drives are too long to do that. We would have wayyy too much snow under the blade. Plus I don't like to drive over the snow and pack it down. But each area is different
  13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

ask the homeowners where the snow was pushed to in the past. I'm sure they can tell you and then base your attack on that!
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats why I said a "normal sized" driveway (2 car driveway)
  15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I actually do have one drive I plow starting at the street and pile the snow up on the lawn towards the house just because theres nowhere to put it at the end.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  16. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I tend to try not to pile it by the street as it cuts down on visibility when entering/exiting the driveway.
  17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

How is it that you're new to plowing but have 15 accounts?

Why would you promise 15 people that probably need to get out to work in the morning that you'd plow them out when you are 1 week from a storm and don't have any idea how to plow??

If my assumptions are wrong, then I apologize. If not, good luck.

PS, if you never plowed anything I'd be very cautious pulling up to the garage to back drag--- a garage door doesn't stand a chance against a snow plow. Shovel the 6-12" closest to the garage....its better than replacing a door. And if you back into the road---look around EVERY time. Its amazing who you will find behind you.

If you decide to push into the street ask your town if its legal.
  18. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Why would you question this guys ability to get 15 driveways done without knowing anything about his accounts? I've got 14 accounts and I'm new too and I'll have no problem getting my early customers done in time for them to leave for work. Today I plowed my first driveway (my own) as we got an inch of wet snow overnight and I needed the practice. Drive is 120x15 and it took less than 15 minutes. Then I did a dry run around my route and figured it will take me 5-6 hours start to finish depending on how much snow falls. How many hours does it take an experienced fella like yourself to complete your resi route? Ever piss off a customer because they weren't one of the first drives plowed out?
  19. TEX

TEX Senior Member

easy fella i can see where he is comming from.........look at it like this new guy with 15 drives and 1 truck on the 1st yr. that alone leaves open many woops or accidents or what ever. not the fact that he dosent even know how to plow a drive.

1-he kinda has a clue but wanted to ask some good guys with lots of know how for some tips

2- he really knows nothing at all and is up the creek w/o a paddle

the fact is this read up on some stuff......there is a lot of info out there my book for my dodge even tells u how to plow(maybe it was my old truck i dont know) but still. i think BOSS has plowing tips on their webpage too.
  20. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I hear ya maybe no clue but at least he's here asking questions...gotta start somewhere right? Of my 14 accounts 5 are retired or never there cept weekends so they don't care when it gets done as long as it's same day the snow storms over. I just get the feeling like there's some angry veteran plowers who don't like competition. If you do some research starting a plowing business is not real difficult, it is however time consuming and hard work no doubt, but I love the fact that people are willing to pay me good money to play with their snow.