1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to start looking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2008 chevy crew with 6.0 gas motor. In the recent days as the sun is not up yet I have noticed that when the head lights are on(automatic on) that when I use my turn signal it seems that the lights flicker slightly. At first I thought it was my eyes but several days in a row it has done it. I checked the battery that is original and it has 12.4 volts without truck running. Anyone have any ideas on what else I may want to look at?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well,,,what's the voltage while running?? And have you cked your gnds lately? Usually when the lights flicker its either alt going bad or a gnd issue
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I will check the volts running. Is there a way to check the alt without removal of it?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea. Load tester. But most pple don't have turn on heater or a/c on high lights etc and see what volts are at idle,,,then rev up and see if the volts go up. Need to be 14.5 + volts at higher idle
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Or go to you local auto parts store. They'll test your alternator and battery for free.
  6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

another thing to check is that you don't have any burned out lights, i.e. third brake light, tailight, etc. if they burn out they sometimes cause ground issues. the factory wiring up to the headlights is also as skinny as can be so check to see that it's not cracked....
  7. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

I have an 09 2500hd 6.0 gas and mine did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they replace my bcm. It never throw a code.
  8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Check the plow connections at the stock harness. Could be a ground issue at one of these connections due to corrosion.