1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to run new heavy ground wire?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bersh, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bersh

bersh Senior Member

So I have a heavier cable hooked up from the alt. to the positive post of the battery, but I'm not sure where to run the heavier ground wire to. Now I'm looking for a good/convenient (not usually the same I guess) spot to run the ground wire. The factory ground wire seems to be #4 already, and it's running to the underside of the engine (need to pull of the skid pan to see for sure). This seems like a PITA, so wondering if there is another spot that others have used that is easier to get to.

2. Racer593

Racer593 Member

pulled the top a/c pump bolt on mine and mounted it there. works great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

The more you tie together the better you are going to be. I would ground one to the frame and then to the block.
    Thanks, Ron
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Bolted one of mine to the block near the dip stick ..
  5. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

EXACTLY!! It's hard to have enough grounds to ensure a solid ground connection.

One to the engine will cover the drivetrain components and everything screwed into it.
    One on the firewall wil ground the body and everything bolted to it
    One to the frame itself will ground everything to it.

This way all based are covered for the long haul of accessorising.:cool: