1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to put round off road lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bribrius, Nov 17, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

probably kind of simplistic for the pros on this thread but im trying to decide if i want to put some round kc like lights on my truck and where. They wre given to me.

I dont have a back rack, or a roll bar, or a brush guard to mount them on.
    i have thought of a couple ideas.....

under the back bumper for plowing but im worried i will break them backing into a snowbank and they are kind of big and round and might look a bit strange.

on top of the back bumper... but they will be hit by the tailgate

on top of the back bumper but on either side of the license plate. wont get hit by tailgate but will block my license plate lights? this a big deal?

front bumper, but will either block some of the radiator or part of the day time driving lights. Also not sure exactly where is okay to be drilling in front bumper.

on the plow frame. old fisher lights so a little more light maybe?

any thoughts feel free. Im beginning to think i wont put them anywhere but back in the closet and forget about them..

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen some guys install their lights "in" the back bumper, and it looks sharp. Basically, they cut out a circle in the bumper, put in a rubber "gasket" around the hole, and shove the light in. That way they are protected from getting smashed up too.

3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i've got 4- 6" round off road lights tucked behind the grill on my truck...

[​IMG]

no over heating problems, even at the dunes in in 4x4 low all day

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

these are 5.5" 55 watt.

mean anything to you? I was kind of thinking they were junk (got them for free)

they say "for off road use only"

this mean i cant use them when driving on the road? lol

5. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

ive seen a few trucks around here with them behind the grille like in the picture. i have some on my jeep brighter than 5.5 watt and i use them on road when no one is around way too bright to drive into on coming traffic with

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I've also seen them behind the grille and they look pretty cool, but like kyle said, way to bright to use around on comming traffic. I have some KC Daylighters that I put on my explorer for my late night drift sessions.

7. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

make a head ake rack

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want them in the back just get some stake pocket tie down mounts...Mount the lights to them ...They won't get broke from backing into snow piles,and they will be up higher....

9. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i would put them on the plow mount or in the back bumper