1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to put plow leads on 04 SD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by demetrios007, Dec 9, 2004.

1. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I'm just looking for some input on the plug/power leads on my 04 superduty. I just got the plow on it 2 weeks ago and did all my maintenence. Its a unimount western, and I now have them in the lowest part of the grill. I have the sport package with painted bumpers and trim and truck is snow white with all chrome options. Its a 2 month old 04 loaded up that I stole from my dealer, literally. I see guys tucking them under the bumper and often behind the plate. Since its white, they really stick out on the grill. Last truck was a POS so I didnt care, but I know you guys are creative and have lots of ideas. Any feedback is appreciated, cant wait to push some snow.................
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Do not hang them out of the grill.
    If it is chrome then the harness will rub it off.
    I have also seen this happen to painted bumpers.
    Try to support the harness so it can't rub on anything.

Mine sits under the grill on top of the chrome bumper.
    I tried to get them in the tow hook hole, but they were not long enough.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

On my trucks they come out between grill and bumper too. Usually the plow mounts are a bigger eyesore than the harness plugs though.
  4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I just tuck mine back behind the grill when not in use

I cant see how they would wear off the chrome on the grill when in service, its not like they move?
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

That chrome on the plastic is very thin.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I dont have room between the bumper and the grill
    I can move my bumper down if I want to but then there will be a huge gap
    under the headlights.

how do you guys have your wires there?
    do you have a large gap?
  7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

With my Ultramount I have no problem setting those leads just behind the plate. Only because they only need to protrude from the truck at about 2". When the plow is not in use they sit nicely on that little "ledge" behind the plate mount.
  8. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I have a unimount, and I dont really need to extend them out far at all, I have them zipped to the bottom of the grill. I have the xlt sport option, with the same paint on my bumpers and grills, handles, etc. I have enough room on the power lead to get down to the bumper, but not the lights lead. The T that goes to the headlight is too short, I'd have to cut and splice to get down there, and I hate to do that and ask for problems, I already lengthened my interior lead for my handheld so I can get the controller anywhere in the front of the truck. I see alot of the trucks coming out of the local western dealer just hanging way out of the grill, nothing special, and some guys have the rubber plate boots that sit in the grill with zips, dont care for that too much personally.

If your gonna put the leads between the bumper and grill, you gotta take the bumper off and then stick them there and wedge the leads in when you put the bumper back on, theres no way to fish them through unless you cut and splice the leads :eek:
  9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

hm, I put mine at the same level they are on my ultramount which is up higher in the grill area, Ill have to look into this putting them down low, but I think I would rather them up higher then down low for when I get snow packed in that area on certain occasions.