1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to put my snowblower.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The mayor, Dec 2, 2008.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I have a chevy 2500 that has a western tornado salter. I am looking for ideas on where to put my snowblower. It is a ccr2450 toro. There is no room in the bed.
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Passengers Seat. LOL
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't have a rear plow or salt spreader on it, just get one of those hitch extender platform things, and park it there. It would suck to have to plow with it there, but I guess I could do it if I had to.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

They do fit in the front seat with the arms down. You could also just strap it to the cage of the salter? They are light, so it wouldn't be hard to throw it up.
  5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Laugh...it has been in the front seat. I am going to mount somehow on the back of the salter. I was hoping someone had the same problem and had a quick fix hopefully wth visuals. Thanks all for the help so far.
  6. GTLS

GTLS Member

Put it on the roof! :)
  7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

On our old v-box spreaders, we would drill two holes in the back and install 2 large hooks and hang it from the back. Then a couple straps to secure it. A friend of mine built a shelf that was attached to his top screen and strapped it down.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Bicycle hooks through the spreader and some bungee cords. Cheap and it works.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

You could do what I do. I put my tornado on 2 - 4x4's Bolted it down and built and small wood crib in front of it. I used 4x4s that were the length of the whole bed and the tailgate to distribute the weight. This let me set it back about a foot so I could use the front to keep pails of salt for the sidewalks, cause even though you are loaded with salt you still need something for the walks. Plus sometimes we are carrying sand and need salt for the walks. It carry's the weight quite well. We chain it at front then use straps that criscross from front to back. Also the crib is built in a way that it cant slide back cause the cut outs in the box prevent it from even moving the slightest bit. It allows us to stand beside the truck and reach for a pail with out having to bend over the side and stressing to pick it up out of the bed which is hard. This is a pic from last year. If you want more let me know I have some newer ones from this year on a different computer. I take my box liner comepletly out so that its easier to wash the truck out. I never thought of rino lining till just now.

BTW thats not one of my lots, thats the joke of a lot across the street

48THORNBURY 003.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

I have seen snowthrowers on platforms extending from the trailer hitch. I would think they get covered with slush and salt and you would still need to move it to salt as it would interfere with the spinner. I have had to put the thrower in between the salter and the bed of the pickup but this gets old after a few times.

Now I have a custom fabricated steel platform on the side of the plowtruck for the thrower and gas can etc. It is quite low and works great. Maybe you can rig up a platform on the back of the salter/box of pickup off to one side so that it is easier to access than putting it beside the salter?

If you come up with a solution let us know!
  11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

When I first saw your tailgate down in the pic, I wondered by you didn't just remove it. But your explianation said why.

I like the hooks mounted for the handle idea.

My question would be, Are you trying to kill to many birds with one stone. Who runs the blower? If you are a one man operation, then I understand. If someone else runs the blower, then maybe they can haul it in another truck. Or the spreader in another truck with the blower and plow on this one.
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Well this is hard to explain, but for this year were trying to fab up a "U" shaped mount that will have a small platform on it that sits behind but above our tailgate spreaders. It can still salt while the snow blower is mounted freely, but we will just unstrap it and throw down the aluminum ramps to unload/load it off the back. This is the fastest way i can think of doing it so far. Having it in the bed and the salter in the way is near useless, considering most weigh 150-300lbs, theres no way to get it up and out easily especially for our other drivers/help.
  13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same issue accept I have a Truckcraft insert with the tailgate spreader....I think I am going to rig up some hooks on the passenger side of the spreader to hang mine on.....