1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to push ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stc911, Feb 25, 2006.

1. stc911

stc911 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am just starting to get my feet wet at this winters end plowing. I have run into a problem. When I push the length of the drive (smaller drives in small residential community) I catch heck from municipal plow drivers who complain that I leave to much snow in the street. Even though I get most of it over the curb on the other side of the street on public / city property. What do others do in this situation ?

I've lost patience with some of these tired and cranky drivers
    Thanks

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You reason for catching heck is plowing snow across the street. Thats illegal. You have to keep the snow on your side of the street and place it back on to the property your removed it from.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Yup illegal to plow across the street. I plow it just enough so it in the street, drive through, then push it next to my customers approach.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

They are actually being very kind to you. They could just report you to law enforcement. You need to figure this when you're looking over the property before you start plowing. How are you going to plow this site includes where are you going to stack the snow on the property.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

All snow must be piled on the property you are plowing. Some towns are more strict then others but it is illegal to push snow across the street in most places. It does not matter if almost all of the snow goes over the curb because almost does not count. The other thing is you are plowing up the sand and salt that they city/town/county/state spread. You could also be liable if someone hits your snow in the street and looses control. It is unlikely that your leaving enough for that to happen but you have to understand that somebody could see the smallest bit of snow and trace it to the drive your plowing and possibly make a case against you should they get in an accident. I know thats the worst case senario and Iam not trying to get on your case but take it as a lesson learned. If you have absolutely no place to put the snow right near the driveway, you can pullout with the snow on the plow and angle it into the snowbank along the road on the side your driveway is on. Even in this case, you still need to turn around and come back to make sure its as clean as can be.