1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where to push the snow on res driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Time Cutters, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

This is my first year plowing residential driveway. I was wondering where to push the snow and how to get it there without recking the grass? Can I even leave it on the grass? Should I push it in the street and onto the curb? Any help would be great.

Thanks Adam

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if the garages are on the side i usually
    push it on to the grassor just before the grass

if the driveway deadends at the garage
    i backdrag far enough to back over the pile
    and i push it across the street against the curb

3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Pushing across the street is illegal in most areas.:nono:
  4. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

Pushing it across the street into an open area or state/city property is illegal? I know it is illegal to push it into the street but I am wondering when plowing an alley can I push it to the end and then into an open area (like a small park like area)? Where would you recommend putting the snow in residential and how can I ensure that the property is not damaged?

Any information you can give me is appreciated.
    I have heard so many different things and I am wondering what is best and most widely used and accepted.

Thanks for your help
  5. mpflood

mpflood Member

lose the snow

I like to do what i refer to as "lose the snow" along the curb line
    just like the city trucks would do.The reason pushing snow in the road is deemed ilegal,is all the chit heads that leave a real mess
    out there.
    Good Luck
  6. smh

smh Junior Member

If at all possible keep the snow on the homeowners property. A bobcat or skidsteer is the best tool for this job. Stack it man! Just Stack it!:drinkup:
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

8. Mac

Mac Member

I stack my snow just like"Big Nate's Plowing" does. I just lift my plow a little before the grass. There's a little damage to the grass each year, but I tell the home owner upfront that it their responsibility to fix it.
  9. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Big Nate drew it right. It all goes on their property near the street. Lift your blade as you approach the grass and you wont have a problem. If you do tear up a bit, buy a few rolls of sod for 20 bucks and throw it down in the spring.
  10. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Real easy..... Just ask the home owner and have them sign off on it. There are way too many problems that can result from it being only your decision. Give them some input, I never make the decision, I only suggest where to put it. I have heard of most stacking near the street, (most of the time I do) but then I wonder **could I be held liable if the owner can not see leaving the drive and gets hit by a passing vehicle?** :rolleyes: I know it's overkill on a good question, but in a lot of cases it will depend on where you can put it and where you have room as well.

Hope this helps.... :D
  11. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

The ugly reality of residentials

Now, in theory, the previous illustration was IDEAL......However, what really happens in tight residential areas, is a sidewalk 3 Feet from the street, A car on either side of the driveway.....And a PISSED off old lady who is watching you through her front window with one hand on the phone to dial 911 when you cross that street with the snow because there is no where to put it:realmad: :realmad:

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I back drag the snow into the street, then push it to the curb just like the city trucks do. I pushed some across a street one time and got a good chewing from a city driver that saw me.:angry:
    Pushing snow across a street is very illegal in most areas.