1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where to push snow on a res driveway?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Time Cutters, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

Hey guys this is my first year in the business and I had a question. Last year i plowed for a buddy and only did parking lots. Now I am on my own and have some residential accounts and was wondering were exactly is the best place to push the snow without recking the grass. Any advice would be so helpful.

Thanks Adam

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I always backdrag to the street then I stack it up on the corner, as long as there aren't any water shut-offs or landscaping. You will quickly get the hang of bumping the plow so you don't scrape the grass as well. Urethane edges will help with that as well.

My favorite drives are the one's with offset drives, two pushes straight in, and Im done. I try to target these homes during the fall, I drop a flyer, or stop and ring the bell, have a little chat with them, seems to work great. Good luck this year.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Be sure to raise the blade up just a hair as you stack the snow onto the lawn. That will help prevent too muck lawn damage.
    Also be sure to push it back far enough so you don't run out of room as the season continues.

Good luck
    Mark K

4. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

I think I put this in the wrong place.(pics)Well sorry for that but thanks for all the info greatly appreciated

Thank Adam

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

When in doubt, draw a picture:p

Good idea Nate. Thats what I was trying to say!

7. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

How would you do this one, Sorry bout taking your pic its just about the same exact thing, As you can tell im not much of an artist lol.

8. Wesley's Lawn

My help if i added the pix

drive.jpg

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

10. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Another alternative if you can put the snow there. I'm showing two passes on the straight and the turn-around but it would depend on how wide the drive is.

untitled.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  11. Wesley's Lawn

Thanks I cant do the second option there is a fire hydrant right there. Dam property sucks balls. :realmad:

12. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Well it was worth a try. Looks like if you get alot of snow the people will have a pretty big pile on the left of the driveway:D

13. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

Piling snow at the corners of the drive is not a good idea. It decreases visibility for the customers trying to leave there driveway. If it is possible, I would try to pile it on the other side of the road. Just a suggestion.

Caleb

14. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

If you do push it and pile across the road make sure you clean up the road and not leave big clumps laying there. That really gets me :realmad: when some guys do it in such a hurry and leave the clump laying there. Also depending on where you are at it might be against the law to do it. Check first and be safe than sorry.:nod:

15. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

Around here that is usually what we do, unless we are in town and we can't push it across the street. Yes, be sure to clean up the over spill. If you have to, I would try to keep the pile as low as you can. You might want to ask the customer if they don't mind you pile at the corners. :nod:

Caleb

16. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

When I'm doing dozer work that requires me to pile dirt near the corners, I'll knock them down a little with the blade, and check to make sure I can see in both directions.

Seems like you could do the same with snow, just swing a wide turn across the cornes and knock the piles down with the corner of your blade with it turned all the way out on that side.

How'd you guys do those drawings?

Is their a drawing tool on here?